Removing start up password??

Discussion in 'Software' started by madhouse7207, Oct 25, 2008.

1. madhouse7207

madhouse7207 Private E-2

I will be honest. I am not that versed in computer lingo or tech. I do have a problem though. My husband purchased a used computer from a company. When turning the computer on, it automatically goes to user name and password request. We have no idea what the previous password or user name is. It is running Windows 2000 professional and I would like to know what I need to do to either get past this or how to change it???
    I am unable to burn a disc on my current computer so I cannot download a cd to put in the new computer.
    Will I have to purchase something, take it to someone, or should I just give up?????
    Please help me.:eek:

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

You are probably going to have to get a copy of 2000 and boot from the cd, basically re load windows 2000. Legally i don't know of any way to get past the password.

3. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Have you tried Administrator for the username with a blank password?

I haven't been on a Win2k system in a while but the easiest way is to boot into Safe Mode and trying logging in under the Administrator account and changing the password or creating a new user account. Depending on who setup the OS initially, they may or may not have set an Admin password, if they did not this should get you in.

If the above doesn't work then I agree, you will have to locate a Win2k disc and perform a reinstall or my recommendation an upgrade to WinXP.

4. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

I thought about suggesting safe mode but i figured that once the password is set it prevents anyone without that password from doing anything to the system including safe mode. If you got through to safe mode wouldn't the password box still appear?

5. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Yes, it would still show but if there is no Administrator password then you should be able to login and change the password to the account with the unknown password.

6. madhouse7207

madhouse7207 Private E-2

So if i have the Windows XP disc, I can load this over top of the 2000 and this will reset any passwords??? Like starting fresh???

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is this a Windows screen asking for username and password or a Startup screen? If it doesn't look like a regular Windows screen it could be a BIOS password.

8. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds