Removing unused programs (vista)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Strangermhz, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Strangermhz

Strangermhz Private E-2

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums, decided to join as this place has helped me out before and now I have a question.

You see, I want my computer to run more efficiently - so I took off all malware I could find, tweaked a little here and there to speed up the starting process and such, but now I'm facing a problem that's annoying the blood outta me: the huge amount of 'legitimate crap' on my pc. Just a gander in my prog files shows me I have about 10 windows live services I will never use. Makes me wonder what I got in my comp in places I DON'T look.

So maybe they don't take up too much space, maybe they're not harmful - but they're useless. Plus I'm spiteful for having it forced on me like this (because of course, you can't just 'remove' and be done with it). It kinda makes me feel at a loss in my own computer, cause i don't know where to look. Oh how I'd want a simple OS with only one operating tray, for internet, media and files. no hassle D:

So I was hoping someone could tell me (or better yet, has a guide for me - as I am a complete novice at computers) how I can thoroughly go through my computer and take out what I don't use, cause I simply don't know where to look.

I understand if this may be a little vague, but being unskilled I really don't know how to define this better. I just hope someone has the time and patience to help me out - it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Stranger

2. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Well Welcome back Stranger,

And definately. If you want we can take a look at this together and see what we can remove and what is necessary for your PC. Do you have a list of the software listed in your All Programs? And also, do you find your startup is slow? Or is it mainly just after its booted, its running slow.

Thanks,

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    You want to be very sure of what the programs are connected to before removing any.
    Some that you may not use,(for me its Internet Explorer) are a major part of Windows. Remove IE and you have lost Windows.
    There are some others that is safe to remove though.
    Check them out first.

4. samtal

samtal Corporal

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds