Repair to XP Pro created duplicate folders??

Discussion in 'Software' started by DragonRider, Nov 27, 2005.

1. DragonRider

DragonRider Private E-2

I’m posting for assistance to fix a Repair to XP Pro that didn’t turn out as intended. Like everybody else I don’t want to format and reinstall everything because as we all know it takes hours to finish. I discovered my 1 ½ year old custom built desktop had an illegal Product Key when it wouldn’t pass the Windows validation at the Windows Update site. I also have a home office with an 802.11g network for my desktop, laptop and 2 printers because I work from home, but I never read anything about a network causing Repair problems.

Basic desktop set-up info:
    XP Pro w/Svc. Pk. 2 kept up to date from Microsoft web site before and after attempted Repair; AMD Athlon XP 2800+ chip; 1G PC3200 DDR RAM; 2 hard-drives C = 40G for OS & software, D = 120G for data storage.

** (Side note: if I have to do a format and reinstall, I’d like to create a partition on the C drive for XP Pro and updates only. Is that possible during a format and reinstall? If so, I’ll need advice on how to accomplish that).

Now the events and problem:
    I searched the Major Geeks Software forum and located the directions for an XP Pro Repair, which match those on the Microsoft web site, but couldn’t locate anything like my end result. So I printed out the directions, followed them and the Repair installation went without any problems, installed a legal Product Key and registered my installation with Microsoft. Now my desktop is very slow to boot up, programs run slow but they do run, my network is hosed but I can access the internet with my desktop because I wired it to the Linksys WRT54G router, but the network itself is hosed.

Afterwards using Windows Explorer to look around the C drive, I found new duplicate folders had been created that weren’t there before and I don’t think should be there now. I’ve tried to rename and delete them but can’t, even in Safe Mode. I’ve listed them below, I believe the folders before the AND should be there; the ones after AND should not. Please Help!!

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users AND C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.Windows

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User AND C:\Documents and Settings\Default User.WINDOWS

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService AND C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService.NT AUTHORITY

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike AND C:\Documents and Settings\Mike.MIKE-1EE12621F0

The name of this folder seems to indicate that my desktop has been renamed to 1EE12621F0 but Device Manager still lists the previous name. There’s a place in Device Manager where I could change the name. Would that help?

That's my problem. Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks, Dragon Flyer aka Mike

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

It doesn't appear that the "Repair' install went correctly. If the "Repiar' installed correctly there should have been no new folders created, just a complete overwrite of the OS. You can't delete folders and files in use by the system, and if you don't have the correct permissions. It appears that you may have 2 installations of Windows; do this:

Start -> Run

type notepad c:\boot.ini

OK

Copy & Paste the contents of notepad to your nest post.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

An install will not delete old user folders. So instead, you get an all new set under Documents and Settings, with the new computer name appended to the end, as you saw. Its an attempt by Windows not to delete user data.

I don't think you did a repair. I think you did a new installation.

4. DragonRider

DragonRider Private E-2

Here's the results of notepad c:\boot.ini

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

Does it look like I have 2 installations of Windows? If so, can I get rid of one? Would another Repair help?

Thanks, Dragon Rider aka Mike

5. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats not going to help. Chances are he overwrote the old installation, which would still create the duplicates he sees.

To the original poster. Is Add/Remove programs blank?

7. DragonRider

DragonRider Private E-2

I apologize to the folks who are trying to help me, I left out part of the story from my first post. I typed out the entire story into WordPerfect last night before posting and it was very long, plus I’m getting scrambled by trying to work with this f’ed up desktop! I’m on track now.

I did the first Repair about 2 weeks ago and worked with this desktop during the last 2 weeks because it functioned and I needed it. The first Repair created the All Users, Default User and Mike duplicate Folders.

Last night, before I posted, I did a second Repair thinking it might put things right again. I THINK the second Repair created only this Local Service set of duplicate Folders, because I don't remember having them before either Repair.

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService AND C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService.NT AUTHORITY

The Add/Remove Programs Folder appears to have all of my programs listed, and they also function; but the Microsoft Updates previously downloaded aren’t showing. Don’t know if they’re installed or not, haven’t been to Windows Update.

Sorry for my flake out, Mike

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I am at an utterly complete loss at this point. In my 4 years of repair XP with MS, not once have I seen this before. The only time I've ever seen duplicates is if windows was installed into the same folder again, overwriting the old, or installed into a different folder on the same partition.

9. DragonRider

DragonRider Private E-2

Would it have anything to do with Norton Internet Security 2005 being installed?

So you have XP Pro Svc Pk 2 and a network?

Do your Documents and Settings show Local Service Folders, or any of the Folders I'm listing?

Please tell me which folders should be there and which shouldn't, besides the obvious duplicates.

10. DragonRider

DragonRider Private E-2

I'm 99% sure I did both Repairs to the same installation of XP Pro, and did not do an Installation. Are you thinking maybe I did an installation instead of a Repair?

In your opinion, should I stop trying to fix this and start with the format and reinstall? I own all the software and all data is stored on the D drive.

If I do a format and reinstall, can you tell me how to partition the C drive so that I can have XP Pro in it's own partition? Then I'd use the remainder of the C drive to install the rest of my software.

Mike

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I did...until you told me add/remove programs was listing your apps.

As for clean installing, you dont have to...unless you are experiencing problems, or the idea of a not so perfectly working systems irks you.

Boot to the CD.
    When asked to repair, press Esc.
    It goes to the partitioning screen. You delete the partition in question, MAKE CERTAIN ITS THE RIGHT ONE!
    Then, make a new partition, format it, and install Windows. This will put Windows on C:\.
    Then, inside Windows, you can use Disk Management to create the second partition and format it accordingly.

12. DragonRider

DragonRider Private E-2

You make it sound so easy but with my luck lately I'd get into it and get stuck somewhere and end up with a non-functioning desktop!

So I create a partition for XP Pro & updates, install XP Pro and get updates? Then use something called Disk Management to format the rest of the C drive which would be called D right? Then install the rest of my programs into the D partition? What size of partition do I need so that XP Pro and updates has enough room?

You obviously know more about this than I do, maybe I should just format and reinstall everything on C just like it is now? I don't know anything about Disk Management or partitioning.

Mike

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

IMO, at least 4gb. Reasoning:

1.5gb for default install XP
    Extra room for updates, and swap file.

Go through these steps, you will be fine. Just make sure you backup your data.
    Boot to the CD.
    Hit F8 at the license agreement.
    It will go to a repair screen.
    Press Esc.
    It will go to a partitioning screen.
    Delete the partition Windows is on.
    Rebuild the new partition with the size you want.
    Format that partition.
    Install Windows.
    Boot up.
    Go to start, run, and type diskmgmt.msc
    In the lower section, you will notice unallocated space.
    Right click it, create partition. Then format it.
    It will assign a drive letter automatically.

Does that make sense?

14. DragonRider

DragonRider Private E-2

It makes sense when I read it, but not when I look at the Disk Management screen and have never partitioned before. Wish I'd have at least done this before then it wouldn't be so bad.

Wonder if I should just format and install onto C like it is now? Is there any real advantage to having the OS in it's own partition?

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not really, aside from when you reinstall it, it doesn't wipe out your applications.

Of course, you still have to reinstall them to get the information back in the registry, so the point is moot.

16. DragonRider

DragonRider Private E-2

Then I'm going to just format and reinstall everything like it is now. I'll do XP Pro first, then Norton Internet Security so I'll have anti-virus and firewall protection. Then go to the Windows Update site and start pulling down all the updates. What a hassle with all the restarting, but I gotta do it, might as well get it started.

I'd do the separate partition for XP Pro just for the experience but not without more information. I know it's easy for you to type it out, but you've been a MS support tech for several years and I haven't.

Thanks for your help, Mike

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Might I make a suggestion?

Get the Windows firewall up and running, install all your updates, THEN Norton. YOu wont have to worry about that damn program interfereing with the Windows Updates.

18. DragonRider

DragonRider Private E-2

To Whom It May Concern: (that's a hint that I'd appreciate your first name, which takes just a minute to add and then people know how to address you)

That's a great idea since windows takes so long to get installed plus download and the updates and all the restarting drives me batty. I'll probably not even put a password on the admin account until I get XP Pro and NIS2005 installed.

Thanks, Dragon Flyer, aka Mike

"I didn't ask for special rights, but I do expect equal rights" thank you Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

19. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

for your info I came across this which is very similer in your case.What do ya think
    "Quote"
    William, this is the result of reinstalling Windows to the
    same folder
    (instead of repairing) and then creating users
    with the same names as
    before.

For each set of duplicates,
    the folder with the most current Create date
    (seen in Details
    View in Explorer or in the folder's properties) is the
    current
    account folder. You can double check this by clicking Start>
    Run
    and typing in %userprofile%

Windows Explorer will appear
    with the focus on the folders for the user
    that is currently
    logged on. I suspect that you will find that those with
    the
    .xxxxx tagged on to the end are the current folders.

Copy
    data files from the old folders into the new ones. Then delete
    the old
    ones. If Windows still warns about these being system
    folders, ignore the
    warning.

If the file system is NTFS, you
    may run into "access denied" messages when
    trying to move
    files. If this happens, take ownership of the files. Then
    move
    them.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=308421

--
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows
    Shell/User

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I would have agreed jujet, however all of this programs were still in add/remove, which installing into the same folder would have wiped out the registry entries for them.

21. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Understand,gotta admit this post was different but there will be more ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds