Repairing Missing or Corrupt Files in Windows vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by hhob1943, Apr 6, 2009.

1. hhob1943

hhob1943 Private E-2

OUICKTIMEPLAYER.EXE- CORRUPT
    The file or directory\program file(x86)\common files\symantec
    shared\appcore is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility.

i tryed to run chkdsk utility and it won't work.

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Uninstall QuickTime and Symantec/Norton. It's difficult, actually.

I recently uninstalled all QuickTime, Apple, Safari, BonJour, iTune and what else they call it. I made sure the programs were not running by deactivating them first.

I then ran a search - I made sure to search in hidden files and folders also. And several folders with residue came up. I then wanted to delete them of cause. But it wasn't possible. Turns out that you have to change permissions. This is done by right clicking on the folder on Search Companions list (I have XP Home). Then select Properties. This opens a small grey window with tabs. On one of the tabs it is possible to change permissions by putting a check mark in the little grey boxes. All this is best done in safe mode.

I had remains from 8 previous versions of QuickTime that Apple left behind. And they wanted to prevent me from making my own decisions by putting my permissions out of work. Really made me angry. I'm the Administrator here and I decide what's on my PC and what's not!

You'll find that it's the same with Norton/Symantec. First uninstall from Add/remove programs. Then run this tool: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Then run Search (Companion) and search for the words: LiveUpdate, Norton, Symantec. Delete all findings. Change permissions if you have to.

Then run chkdsk again.

Reintall QuickTime and Symantec.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds