Repairing Missing or Corrupt Files in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tom K, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Tom K

Tom K Private First Class

Hello.

Perhaps you could help me with an issue.

Recently when I boot up my computer, I get the following message,

I figure the way to fix this problem is to use the Recovery Console. At this time, I don't want to completely reinstall the Operating System becuase I do not want to lose some rather important files that I want to retain. However, when I get to the step where I am prompted for a command, such as bootcfg and copy, I have gotten no response. I think I am missing a step, but cannot figure what I am doing wrong. I want to replace this corrupted or missing file with the one that must be on the OS disk.

I am currently running Windows XP Professional Version 5.1.

I appreciate any help you can give me regarding this issue and will answer any questions you have regarding steps I have taken so far. Thank you any help you can provide me with this matter.

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Hmmm recovery console or are you trying to boot from the cd?(is that the same??)
    boot from cd choose install
    2nd screen will give you repair or install options choose repair then xp should find it itself
    Pretty sure even if you choose install it prompts to save your setting ??

oneidiotsopinion

3. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I'd give the repair utility a try. Maybe system restore might help....

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

A repair should be a last resort really, and you can lose settings and patches.

HERE is the solution. :)

5. zephra

zephra Private First Class

I heard on Xp with the disk in you could go to run type it scannow and it will scan your registry.Don't know if it works.

6. Insomniac

It works, but you need to be able to boot up.

Anyway, I have posted the solution above, and it requires the Recovery Console.

7. Tom K

Tom K Private First Class

Thank you, Insomniac! This looks like it will work. I'll try it out and let all of you know how it worked.

8. Insomniac

You're welcome and good luck. ;)

9. kareninky

kareninky Private E-2

Insomniac, looks like you had me on the right track, but when I go into the Recovery Console and type the following: expand d:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ c:\windows\system, the response I get is "Access is denied." Very unsporting. Any ideas?? I'm not getting the option to repair this installation, it acts as if the C:\drive is unformatted. I'm trying to recover data from the hard drive for an elderly gentleman who doesn't want to lose his pictures, etc., and as they say, no good deed goes unpunished. Appreciate any direction at all at this point. :cry

10. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to MGs kareninky. :)

This is a 4 year old thread. Please start a new thread with your question. More people will see it and maybe have some advice for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds