Repeater help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N5638J, Nov 30, 2009.

1. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Right now our living situation has us living in a 37foot camper and i need alittle help.. My father in-law lives about 200feet with some trees between us and with one of them linksys Wireless G USB cards i can get one bar of signal (Very low) from his wireless router in his house if i have it hanging in a window facing the house but its always losing signal and i was wondering if i can use this to boost the signal to the camper. Would i place it in the camper or where? somewhere in between? Would it work for what i need?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3320025&cm_re=repeater-_-33-320-025-_-Product

2. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Anyone? Can't be hard to answer.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

A repeater need a good signal to repeat.

So in order to work it has to be put somewhere in the middle of the way where it can get a good signal, and repeat it further toward you.

You need a Wireless router that can work as a Repeater and a 110VAC Power jack to plug it in.

Otherwise, your other choice it to buy two good Wireless Routers with good directional Antennae, put one in the house's Window that is facing your camper, connected with wire to the source Network, the second Router put in your camper's Window. Then Bridge the two.

http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

4. N5638J

N5638J Guest

I have a wireless router i think a Linksys wireless N that i can set up in our camper.

So i would need to hook that repeater to my wireless router and have it about halfway between the home and camper? Or the repeater in the middle somewhere.

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Alternative suggestion. Get 200' of 1/2" PVC pipe, and enough Cat5 to make a run. Dig a 4 to 6" trench, assemble PVC, run Cat5, bury pipe and enjoy wired speed. :cool

6. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Yea but would the signal not degrade over that long of a cable? ;)

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Max length of a single run of Cat5 should be 100M. That is 328 feet.

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Collins got it there. :-D If you do it like that, you can even drive over it, won't hurt it. Well, a car, maybe not a large truck or something. Plus, the more routers and switches you add, will slow down your speed.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  9. N5638J

N5638J Guest

I just want to be able to connect to the wireless network for longer than a min without it losing signal.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds