Repeating BSOD crashes on laptop... out of ideas...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Javaslinger, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Javaslinger

Javaslinger Private E-2

About a month ago (after upgrading to Win7 64bit Ultimate) I began getting recurring BSOD's... I've test my RAM with Memtest.. Test my hard drive with a Seagate utility... Checked for overheating with CPU and GPU temp monitoring utilities.... Nothing wrong.

I am running the lastest Nvidia drivers...

The laptop is a Gateway P-7811FX.

The BSOD's are alwasy related to either nvlddmkm.sys, dxgmms1.sys and once msahci.sys. Almost always the previous two.

I have read numerous post of similar issues with these .sys files and Windows 7 but as far as I can tell, no one has found a root cause.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Javaslinger

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Are you running your hard drive in AHCI mode or IDE mode?

3. Javaslinger

Javaslinger Private E-2

According to BIOS I'm running AHCI....

Thanks,

Javaslinger

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  4. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

For the msahci.sys problem, you can try running your hard drive in IDE mode (do this through the bios) to get rid of a buggy ahci driver problem.

nvlddmkm.sys and dxgmms1.sys are both related to Directx and video. One board I read says it is caused by the graphics card running at over it's stable clock speed, and to fix it, to reduce the clock speed of your graphics card by 10 or 20 MHz.

5. Javaslinger

Javaslinger Private E-2

Ok, I tried to reset in BIOS to IDE, but the computer crashed during startup immediately and repeatedly... the windows startup repair was unable to 'repair' it so I had to reset it back to AHCI.

As for reducing the clock speed of the graphics card.. yeah, I had already tried that when I saw something posted along the lines of what you're saying. No dice... still crashed...

thanks,

Javaslinger

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds