Replaced Hdd In Sony Vaio Model Pcg-61a11l,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by outdoorgal, Feb 1, 2017.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

64 bit, Windows 7 Home Premium

Now I need to first download Windows 7 and this is the site I did my Windows 10 on:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-D3W._MUzxXKxlmIglN86_g)()

I went there hoping I could do the same things with Windows 7, but don't find a download for the Tool as I did for Win 10. I found this page to download Win 7 but it won't allow her (my neighbor I'm helping) product key (error message attached). Anyone know a way around having to call Sony? I hate calling companies like that. The computer was bought maybe 2012 by my neighbor.

product key error.PNG

2. outdoorgal

Ok, another thing, when I turn on her computer with the new HDD installed, all I get is a brief Vaio logo, then this message top left:

Operating System Not Found

Anyone know what I have to do, or is this telling me the hdd isn't working?

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If the key is the manufacturers installation, then it will not work, - This key is in the recovery discs, as a factory instal. Youneed akey for the softer you have got, or, a recovery cd from Sony Vaio.
    If you tell us what the model is , we might be able to see if there is a recovery cd available.
    if the Windows 7 version that you downloaded is not the same as the original, then the key will not work- Usually Windows 7 comes installed in' home premium' , but sometimes 'w7 pro', unless it is an up market model, with W7 ultimate. This would be on a sticker on the computer, or, laptop.
    Check the model name at Sony Vaio site, and look for it on line , and it will give you the spec.
    Until you instal W7on that new hard drive, it will show no operating system.

4. outdoorgal

Thanks so much @baklogic Ok, yes, I did find the specs yesterday so I'll look again today but I am pretty sure it said Home Premium. I finally noticed that file I downloaded was one of those "images" and I thought I was downloading a file I could upload to this laptop.

Ok, I'll do some checking and find out. The stick says "Windows 7" and doesn't have anything at the bottom like stickers that say Ulitimate, etc. I just looked, so yes, I'll go back into the Specs and type in the Model. It's in my OP Title;) denise PS thank you again:)

5. outdoorgal

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

outdoorgal likes this.
  7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Discontinued models can still be found- use that last link you got to define the MODELNUMBER, in the drop down list.
    If you click on any of the drop down links, you will see
    Serial Number Location: On the bottom, the back panel, or inside the battery compartment of your computer.
    Look down that page for more instructions.
    Incidentally, if you have the old hard drive, I may be able to give you some more help- I am going out, but will be back later.
    Sorry, Eldon posted while I was typing- use Eldons help-

outdoorgal and Eldon like this.
  8. outdoorgal

9. outdoorgal

Ok, will use @Eldon's thanks again, to both of you. Let me look now.

10. outdoorgal

My brain is toast this a.m. Although here is the Product Name I found:

VNCEG32FX

Please forgive me but I don't know what to do with it. I think I am too tired to think. I am hoping to find a download to upload to the new HDD as I already mentioned. Maybe you can help me find a download site, something I can download to my flash drive, and then upload on her laptop.

Thanks, and I am truly sorry I am not tracking too well. I think I'm worried we are going to end up in a war. I get most of my news, and so does my neighbor Colleen, from my laptop. Denise

11. Eldon

Double-check the model number - the closest is VPCEG32FX.

outdoorgal likes this.
  12. outdoorgal

I also forgot to mention I do have the old hard-drive but I'm not sure if we can rescue anything from it. I'm a little nervous to hook it up to my laptop as it might wreck mine. Although, maybe straight from old hdd to my flashdrive could work? Then evaluate what I've rescued? I have the case to put the old Hdd in and plug into USB.

13. outdoorgal

Thats it Eldon, so sorry:( I typed even that wrong. What mess I am. I'm feeling a bit better now though.

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

outdoorgal likes this.
  15. outdoorgal

No, I need Windows 7, she had upgraded to Win 10 so I'm wondering if I try and reinstall that as I did mine that it may take her key? If she used the key to upgrade to Win 10, would that disallow it to be used for Win 7?

16. Eldon

Do the above. It won't mess up your PC. You can then recover the files you need.
    It's always a good idea to scan the drive with an antivirus right after connecting it to the PC.

outdoorgal likes this.
  17. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Find your product key either on the bottom of the laptop or under the battery, maybe.
    Download the Windows disk you need using this tool hosted here at MG.
    No OS found, means just that you installed a blank disk.

If she upgraded from 7 to 10 - install the correct version of 10, when it initially asks for a key leave it blank, after Windows loads you can activate & if she did everything right you'll get a digital entitlement activation.

18. outdoorgal

I have actually done that, used my head on that one, thanks though, I may not have realized that needs to be done;) thanks @Eldon

19. outdoorgal

Ok @Eldon I've got her old hdd in the case and scanning all of it which is plugged into my G drive (USB). It will take awhile, but I will be back when I have the results. Thanks again, denise

20. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you downloade an iso image, you will need somthing like imageburn, or, micr
    If she wants to go back to Windows 7, then O.K.
    If she wants to keep Windows 10 ,then downlodd the w10 home version, as that seems to be the one given inthe free update.
    Digitalkey should work, as foogoo said.
    The links given by foogoo should get you any verion you want. They are usually iso files and the tool from microsoft is the easiest way to convert iso burn to dvd https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool
    This tool might be easier for you
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/cdburnerxp.html
    Good luck with saving her files off the old drive

outdoorgal likes this.
  21. outdoorgal

I'm doing this now as I did for my laptop when replacing the Windows 10 (downloaded mediacreationtool.exe from mg's). And I am setting it up now on my flashdrive. This snip is from my thread that was about my own HDD being replaced. I don't remember, but I think I go to the Windows site and download Win 10 to my flash.

I'm totally confused, but getting this stuff downloaded. I can't believe I ever did this all the first time now:(:

mediacreationtool dir.PNG

22. outdoorgal

Ok, this mediacreationtool is downloading Windows 10 it says. I don't remember that, just following the screen directions and I guess that is the Win 10, I won't need to download anything else? It must ask for a key right? Somewhere?

23. outdoorgal

Here files look in tact on her old hdd after running a scan, I don't know if there is anything on there she wants to keep but if there is, I have them all.

24. Eldon

Did you backup the video?

outdoorgal likes this.
  25. outdoorgal

Hi Eldon, good to see someone. I guess I have a bug, in me I mean, but I downloaded the mediacreationtool to the flash, and extracted it there, see pic of flashdrive. Now I am following howtogeek on how to upload to new hdd on her laptop.

for eldon.PNG

26. outdoorgal

27. Eldon

I think it's best to wait until you get hold of your friend.
    If she rolled back to Windows 7 then there might be a problem.

outdoorgal likes this.
  28. outdoorgal

I just got off the phone with her Eldon, and to tell the truth, I don't think she knows for sure, anything. Would it hurt to 'Try" and upload the Windows 10 from the flash?

29. outdoorgal

Ok, went ahead with a "clean install" but got stuck at the Partition and "Where do You want to install Windows".

There is only the one partition and it says:

Drive 0 Partition 1 Total size: 596.2 GB Free space: 596.0 Type: Logical

I figure that is the new hdd right?

But when I am try to let the install run, and I select that Partition since it's the only one, I get this error:

We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files.

?? I'm stuck there. WAIT, no I'm not, I deleted the one, and it came up as not allocated space, and now Windows is continuing to install, woohoooooooooooooo! I guess we'll see how far I get now, lol;)

baklogic likes this.
  30. outdoorgal

Everything is working fine. For more on how I did it, I used the directions given to me before and downloaded the Mediacreationtool from mg's downloads to my flashdrive. Then I followed the instructions on this site:

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Thanks again all who helped me. Looks like my neighbor and friend Colleen can use this laptop now. Hope it keeps working, lol;)

baklogic and Eldon like this.
  31. Eldon

:cool: Keep us updated!

32. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You got it right -well done.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds