Replaced mobo, now software problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by pennywisezzz, Aug 5, 2012.

1. pennywisezzz

pennywisezzz Private E-2

A while back my computer got fried in a storm that also took out my modem/router & vonage adapter. The PSU light was blinking and I tried to replace that but it wasn't the problem. Only thing that could get me a steady psu light was if I disconnected the mobo. So, I finally got myself a new mobo (made sure to get the exact same type of mobo). I installed it and turned my computer on and was glad to see it start to load up. It asked if I wanted to start it normally or go into the recommended start up repair. I let it go into repair mode and along the way asked about a system restore and I clicked yes. It would reset afterwards but recommend a repair again. I done this several times but it keeps saying Windows cannot repair this computer automatically and "Root cause found: unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem." Asked me to disconnect any recent hardware changes like a new camera or something like that. Nothing was added to the system, though - I just changed out the mobo.

I was able to check with diagnostic tools from PC Doctor and it passed the cpu, memory & drive tests that it ran.

While in Startup Repair I jotted down what it showed though I have no idea what to make of it but thought maybe someone here would:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
    Problem signature 01: AutoFailOver
    Problem signature 02: 6.0.6001.18000.60.0.6001.18000
    Problem signature 03: 4
    Problem signature 04: 196611
    Problem signature 05: NoRootCause
    Problem signature 06: NoRootCause
    Problem signature 07: 0
    Problem signature 08: 1
    Problem signature 09: SystemRestore
    Problem signature 10: 0
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Since I was getting nowhere with the startup repair I went into Windows Recovery and was going to back up my personal files before letting it run and I clicked to put on CD/DVD and when I seen how many CD's or DVD's it was going to take I decided to run to town and get a flash drive to put it on instead so I clicked BACK to make a different selection and then it froze and wouldn't do anything. After a long time I decided all I could do was a cold reset. But ever since I did that, now when it loads it goes to the screen saying "Windows is loading files..." then the screen that says "Microsoft Corporation" and then it goes to a solid blue screen with an arrow and shows the little sand timer thing for a few seconds and then that is it. It stays frozen on that screen.

So now what do I do? I don't have any windows CDs to try in it. It's a Vista 64 bit. HP model p6140f software build 93NAv6PrA2.

:confused

TIA

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

So now you can't get into startup repair anymore?

If you hit F8 repeatedly towards the end of the HP logo screen do you get safe mode options? If so try Last Known Good Configuration.

Do you have a blank CD available?

3. pennywisezzz

pennywisezzz Private E-2

I couldn't even get to the safe mode features. It would come up to start normally (which wouldn't work) or startup repair which couldn't do anything. I let it get back to being froze on the blue screen and I just walked away and left it for about an hour. It eventually loaded to the System Recovery options and I decided to try System Restore again (which was just freezing when I tried it before). I clicked on System Restore and it acted like it was froze. I left it alone and after about 30 mins I noticed it had finally popped up options for system restore. I chose one from the day before the big storm. A couple minutes after I click to restore the screen went black and stayed that way. I walked away again and noticed a while later it had loaded up! System Restore worked! My computer is back from the dead!

But why was it freezing up and taking so long to do anything? Very strange. Because the computer wasn't making any noises or anything, it was like it was doing absolutely nothing.

Maybe patience is a virtue? That or the computer began to understand obscenity laden threats... :-D

4. sach2

That is great!

I was thinking about doing a chkdsk on it using the command prompt if we could get the startup repair options. Often when it freezes loading up it is because of corruption.

You might want to do a chkdsk from Windows when you have an hour or so. It will just check for any corruption and try to correct it. It would be Computer and then right-click the C: drive and select Properties. Under the Tools tab select Error Checking. Tick both boxes. Hit Start and it will tell you it must schedule for next bootup. Say OK and then reboot and let it run. Windows will restart and you will know that you don't have any more corruption that may have been caused by the improper shutdown during the storm.

5. sach2

Oh, and another thing you might want to do when you have a blank CD is to create a repair disk that will give you the repair options even when they are having problems loading from the HD.

Go to Start and type create in the search box. "Create a repair disc" will come up in the search results, select that and follow the prompts. That way if you ever have a hang issue and can't get to the repair options normally you will have a disc to boot from that will give some repair options. They do come in handy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds