replacement motherboard I/O back panel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by agresbach, Jul 28, 2006.

1. agresbach

agresbach Private E-2

is it possible to get a replacement I/O panel for your motherboard that attaches to your case? i bought a new case for my Intel D845GRG motherboard but the original case that it came in , the back panel was prefabricated into the case so i could not remove it. the one that came with the case does not really match up like it should.
    i tried calling Intel but they said they do not support my board over the phone any longer.
    anyone know of a resource i might be able to try??

2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Depends, you could always try looking for 3rd party vendors of the board. The internet abounds with them. Pain in the butt matching a board to keep XP happy, but I've done it.

Buy a board from eBay with all the accesories?

3. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Can't you just pop the rear i/o shield out of the case that you removed the motherboard from?

4. agresbach

agresbach Private E-2

no. the board came out of a gateway computer and for some reason they had the I/O panel built into the case (not a popout) so kind of screwed there. thought maybe there was some resource someone knew of that sold generic ones or something i could try to match up with what i need or something

5. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

I had a similair problem (well probably not all that similair) I 'accidently destroyed' (stood on) the IO Panel strip for my abit IC7 during a rebuild so I just installed the board without the panel, been running it for 3 years now without it. DOesn't look so good from the back, probably gets more dust (but I clean it out regularily) and it may even help airflow. but its not the most vital component of your computer.

I've got a box of spare plates lying around my office somewhere though, if you know the layout of the ports I could see what i've got, probably easier than buying a whole board from ebay.

Matt

6. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

I'm thinking that he is saying that the the back panel for his I/O ports has been machined into the actual case, as opposed to having the kind that pop out so you can reinsert the necessary one that came with the new board.

If that is the case...you have one of three options...

1) Get a new aftermarket case, and you can swap out the I/O panels with what came with the new board.

2) If you are a handy man and feel adequate enough to modify the case by cutting out a rectangle that the new I/O panel can pop into, but this requires, patience, and some pretty good precision, and ofcourse the right tools, in order for the motherboard to match up just right to the new panel!!

3) Find a board that has the same I/O port layout as the board that you are wanting to replace. It can be a pain in the butt, but it is possible, by going online to Tiger Direct, or Newegg, or some such place that actually have pictures of the motherboard from different angles, so you can look at the I/O port layout, before you buy it.

Also keep in mind that front panel connectors might be proprietary connectors, as opposed to each wires having their own connector. So if those connectors are molded into a proprietary connector that was made specifically for the motherboard that came with the system, you might have to cut that off and solder individual connectors to each wire in order to connect it to the proper headers. If you find a board that matches the layout of the old board, then you might get lucky on that, and the only way to tell is to look the manual for the old motherboard and see how the headers are layed out, then look in the manual for the new motherboard and see how the pin layout compares with the two. You can download almost any motherboard manual online, which will allow you to do this before you buy the board!!

Roger

7. agresbach

agresbach Private E-2

ya thatd be awesome! thanks! i'm heading home to lunch quick. i'll get a quick photo of it quick if i can and post it and maybe you could see. thanks for the offer

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A-D845GRG-SK1&cat=MBB check this link out. it had a photo of the back if you click on it. whatda think??

8. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

If the back I/O ports of that board that you showed in your link, match the layout of the old board that you are wanting to replace, then that means it will line up with the holes that are already there, and that eliminates the need of the I/O panel that came with the new motherboard.

Roger

9. agresbach

agresbach Private E-2

ok maybe i didnt explain it correctly. i did not get a new motherboard. all i got was the new case and took the existing motherboard out of the gateway machine and put it into the new aftermarket case. the new case came with a back plate panel but doesnt match up with the I/O's on the motherboard. so all i really needed was the panel

10. agresbach

agresbach Private E-2

11. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

If you mean what I think you do, some manufacturers make plates to fit a range of boards but whilst one board will have on board LAN another won't so theres a cover. The company may have a press or some other device for removing these but they normally come off pretty cleanly if you bend them back and forth till they come off.

12. agresbach

agresbach Private E-2

yup thats what i mean. they are just kind of annoying to get off and never seem to come off cleanly without a sharp point is all

13. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

My bad...I see what you are saying now.

Get a little round file and do some tedious surgery on it.

Roger

14. agresbach

agresbach Private E-2

i may just have to! thanks for the advice

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds