Replacement Power Switch/Button

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ranty, Sep 16, 2013.

1. ranty

ranty Private E-2

I have an older HP desktop computer(a1250n), and the power button on the front is finally beginning to wear out.
    It's still working, but hangs and sticks from time to time.
    I decided that I should be replacing it before it totally goes out on me.
    Of course HP doesn't have any replacement parts due to the age, but I thinking that I should be able to get a generic one that would do the job, even if it doesn't fit like the original.
    My original switch allows me to power off the pc by holding the button for a few seconds should the pc hang or lock up, otherwise it's not used to power off the pc, just to power it on.
    Should I be looking for a particular type of switch that will function just like my old one?
    I'm guessing that a replacement switch will most likely be no more than some wires hanging out the old switch opening with a new on/off button attached to the end of them.
    I'm sure it won't look the greatest, but that's not an issue, just need to fix this bad switch.
    I'm just looking for some guidance to direct me to the proper type of replacement?
    Thanks

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The switch is called a momentary switch if your looking to buy a direct replacement but they're all different, your best bet is to remove the old one and take it to an electronics supply store for close enough match that will work.

A little trick though is to swap the reset and power switches over, you can either physically swap the switches over if they're identical or a close enough match but it may take some fiddling.

Or my favourite just connect the the reset switch connector to the power switch jack on the front panel header and turn the computer on with the reset switch.:)

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Rikky, that computer does not have a reset switch/button.
    [​IMG]

4. ranty

ranty Private E-2

Thanks for the replies.
    I remembered that I have an old computer that was purchased back around the time I bought the one in question, which was trashed by lightning.
    Seems like it has the single button switch too.
    I think I may be able to wire that switch in and make it work?
    Just need to go up in the attic and dig it out.
    Thanks again!!

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

No reason why it won't work:) Might take a little tinkering to get it to fit but that's part of the fun.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds