Replacing Compaq Presario M2000 hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shafsharif, Apr 3, 2009.

1. shafsharif

shafsharif Private E-2

Hello all,

I am not the most technically savvy person but i am trying to learn things so i can do PC things myself. I hope the question i am about to ask doesn't offend anyone.

I currently have a Compaq Presario M2000 laptop with 60 gb storage and want to replace the hard drive. The hard drive on the laptop is almost out of space.

Now I have a couple of external Maxtor hard drives and want to know if i can use either one of these. One is a Maxtor Basics 160gb portable drive and the other is a Maxtor Basics 500gb desktop drive.

I'm not sure if this is possible and hope this isn't a silly question.

Many thanks

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. shafsharif

shafsharif Private E-2

Anyone??

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Laptop drives are not the same size (width, length and depth) as the two hard drives you currently have. No, you can not use either of them as an internal replacement.
    I might suggest looking at all the files stored on your 60GB hd and perhaps moving most of them to the portable hard drive. That would be cheaper than purchasing a laptop hard drive.

Here's an example of hard drives for your model
    https://www.memorygiant.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.memorySearch2&model_id=52634
    Please note, I have never purchased from the site I linked to so I can not state if they are good or bad. I just wanted you to see the prices and sizes available.

Desktop hard drives are 3 1/2" while notebooks are 2 1/2". Also portable hard drives in cases are a bit taller than hd in a laptop so you can't take it out of the enclosure and expect it to fit.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  4. shafsharif

shafsharif Private E-2

Many thanks Plodr for your help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds