Replacing hard drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by den942, Nov 28, 2011.

1. den942

den942 Private E-2

I have a friend wanting to move everything from an old hard drive to a
    new hard drive in a NEW computer. Is there a way to move the files and
    programs to a new hard drive in a NEW PC and still have it boot up and
    run with no BSOD or NTLDR errors? The operating system is Windows
    XP Pro and the old hard drive is out of a non-functioning computer.
    There are some bookkeeping programs on the old hard drive and he
    would like those intact in the new computer and the new computer
    working.
    Any help greatly appreciated...

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Programs need to be cleanly installed - they can't be transferred and expected to work properly.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

4. den942

den942 Private E-2

It is a desktop. The old hard drive works and is accessible as a second drive.
    It was something else that failed in the old computer. The old hard drive is 80 gig and out of a Northgate(Walmart) computer. The new computer is a new build barebones system with a 500 gig hard drive.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm fairly sure you won't get XP running on a completely different computer. A non-destructive repair/install would be the only possible way that I can think of and it is iffy. If you were to try it would be smart to make an image of the HD as it is now so you would have a backup if things did not work out. See if anyone can come up with other options. I'm just letting you know that XP does not like being moved to another computer and probably won't be able to adjust.

The reason I am posting is to suggest that you give the names of the bookkeeping software and whether your friend has any installation discs and or license keys. It might be better to concentrate on how to install the software on the new HD and transfer his data files to get the programs running on the new installation.

6. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

There is a way to image a drive to dissimilar hardware. I know of one person who has done this successfully. You would also need all XP drivers available for your hardware.The only problem is that once you do this, you will have to activate XP again and if it is an OEM version, you will not be able to do that.

You would also have to download and install the Windows AIK which is a 1.7GB download or purchase the full version of the software.

http://www.todo-backup.com/support/knowledge-base/migration/restore-image-to-any-pc.htm

7. den942

den942 Private E-2

A windows nondestructive repair is not a problem. I had a case where I
    planned to do that and windows did not give me that option so that
    concerns me.
    I thought XP didn't like being moved but my son says he just moves the
    hard drive to another PC and it boots up and runs. I think he's been lucky.

8. den942

den942 Private E-2

EaseUS software caused me a big mess one time so I'm a bit gun shy there.
    I have been looking at Spotmau Bootsuite 2012. If it does all it says, it would clone the drive and cover all potential problems of boot up after.
    Activating XP again is not a problem. What do I need the Windows AIK
    for with Windows XP? I thought it was a Windows 7 program.

9. tgell

It is a Windows 7 program but it gives the ability of Todo backup to do the restore offline using WINPE. The free version lets you build a WINPE bootable disk using the Windows AIK. The paid for version includes this WINPE disk. The linux boot disk of Todo free does not have the ability to do the Universal Restore.

Edit: The Windows AIK can be used on a XP computer.

Edit: Okay, I think I know what your question is. I am going to ask it over at the Easeus Forum. Can a Universal Restore be done on a XP computer using the WINPE disk created with the Windows AIK. I believe it can but I am going to confirm it.

10. locodave

locodave Corporal

For my experience on getting info from an old hard drive in the new computer. Make it a slave drive via jumper settings. The drive in the new computer is set to master. Same ribbon with triple connections. One to the M/B and other 2 to each hard drive. New H/D is master and old drive is slave. Then you can search thru the old hard drive for anything you want. Find it, and make a shortcut to access it. Mhop.

11. tgell

Easeus has confirmed that using the Windows AIK 3.0 to build a WINPE bootdisk will allow a universal restore from an image of XP to a new computer.

12. den942

den942 Private E-2

Here is what I did and it apparently worked, at least so far... I used the
    Easeus todo disk to clone the old drive to the new one. It made an 80
    gig partition with everything the old hard drive had on it and it was
    accessible as a second drive. I put it in the new computer and it tried
    to boot up but didn't. It gave me the screen with the options to try
    again, Last good configuration, etc.. So I put in my Windows XP SP3
    install disk and it asked if I wanted to repair the existing installation.
    I hit R and it reinstalled Windows and worked just fine. I installed the
    motherboard drivers and it is currently downloading all the Microsoft
    updates. So far so good. It has the original desktop and all the original
    icons. The AVG needs the serial number reinstalled but it looks like
    everything works....

13. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Sounds good. Thanks for letting us know what worked for you. :)

14. den942

den942 Private E-2

The AVG offered to fix itself or be uninstalled so I chose the repair option.
    The Quickbooks had a program to download from their site to fix it. I ran
    that program, it popped up a window showing all the numbers needed to
    make it worked with a tab to print them out. It then repaired the program.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds