Replacing my DVD drive - vaio desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mejohnst, Sep 7, 2008.

1. mejohnst

mejohnst Private E-2

My Sony Vaio PCV-RZ34G is about 5 years old and I have to replace the DVD\CD drive, which has been dead as a doornail for about 18 months.

I got myself a new one, thinking OK, I upgraded RAM and video card by myself, this should be simple.

Nope! I cannot figure out how to access the dang bay for the drive! It's wrapped up in a casing that will not budge.

Anybody with experience who can help me out? Thanks!

2. mejohnst

mejohnst Private E-2

Maybe some pictures will help...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why did they have to put the dvd and cd drives IN A CAGE???

3. mphlips

mphlips Private E-2

I gather you figured it out by now. If not you need to pull on the lever above the center of the cage on the top edge of the PC. Mine was stuck but I was able to get it to release by wiggling the cage while pulling on it.

4. jlbrad

jlbrad Private E-2

I'm a bit late on this response, but I just went through this. With the screws out that hold the dvd in place (just the ones you see - in my case, only 2), you can open the front door and push the dvd backwards. Of course, the power supply is now in the way, but mine had 4 screws on the back of the case that released it. Then you can lift it out of the way (without disconnecting any wires). Then disconnect the wiring to the dvd drive and remove it. Slide in a new drive from the back and re-connect the wiring. Screws back in, power supply back in place and secured, good to go. Mine is a 5-yr-old PCV-RZ40C1b. Good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds