Replacing system files on Win 98, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dreamcatcher55, Nov 14, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher55

dreamcatcher55 Private E-2

I have an old laptop that says it cannot load Windows because the following files are missing: himem.sys, dblbuff.sys and ifshlp.sys. Is there some way I can get these files and restore my windows 98 on this laptop? It only has a cd drive on it no floppy. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I also have a desktop that is missing some system files also and it is running Windows ME. Thanks in advance. Trish

2. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

You can use the Win98 cd or the ME cd to restore those files.

3. dreamcatcher55

Thanks for the quick reply but I do not have those cd's. The laptop was bought used and the desktop was updated by a computer friend of my daughter's. Is it still possible to buy those cd's? Cheap?

4. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

You can try via Ebay or another similar site.

5. dreamcatcher55

Would I need the full version? Or would the upgrade do as well?

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

might try this:
    Boot while holding the CTRL key to enter the boot menu.

2. Select the COMMAND PROMPT ONLY option and press enter.

3. From the C:\> prompt, type SCANREG /RESTORE and press enter.

4. When the restore screen appears, select a backup dated before this problem occurred and then restart the system. (A properly working registry has the word 'Started' next to the date)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds