reply needed ASAP - hard drives over 250gig, good or not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jak3y, Nov 16, 2005.

1. jak3y

jak3y Guest

i vaguely remember reading (maybe here in a thread) that anything over 250gigs for a hard drive is not good.
    i'm buying one for an external that im going to make and was thinking about 200gig, but for $30 i could get a 300 maxtor diamonad max plus (ide)
    any truth to the rumour(s) about excessive hard drive size(s)?
    im leaving soon and this place is far, and want to avoid traffic on the way back, so a reply would be appreciated thanks guys :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

If you have service pack 2 installed, you shouldn't have any problems. If not, you'll need to create smaller partitions (less than 120gb).

3. jak3y

jak3y Guest

well im using it as an external drive...does that make a difference at all?
    thanks btw. :cool::cool::cool:cool:

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I'm not sure to be honest. Try it as a full size drive with one large partition. If it picks it all up then yes. If not, you'll need to create partitions.

Is this a backup drive?
    If so you'll need to use a partition manager such as partition manager to create the partitions.

5. jak3y

jak3y Guest

yes it's going to act as a back-up drive...partition manager.
    is that the actual program name, or just get any "partition manager" program?
    thanks again guys, gonna grab it i guess...maybe even swap it for my 200 in my current pc now, and use the 200 as back-up *shrug* lol

6. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Keep your 200. Get the new one and use as a backup.

The software is entitled Partition Manager and I'm afraid this isn't free, although I'm sure there are some free/cheap ones.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds