Repurpose Server into desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dumpystig, Sep 11, 2011.

1. dumpystig

dumpystig Private E-2

I'm weighing up the possibilities of repurposing a server into a desktop PC.
    The particular kit I'm looking at is a SuperMicro 1U Superserver 6015P-8(R), with dual 2 core Intel Xeon CPUs. Before going into any detail I would like to know if anyone here has any experience of doing a similar conversion, and what (if any) success they have had. Also any thoughts regarding difficulties, pitfalls etc. as well as helpful tips would be welcome.

Thanks.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The only difference between a server and a workstation is, you do not have a keyboard, mouse, monitor connected, along with you are serving files, webpages, etc to other computers. Along with authenticating in a domain, etc.

You just load up the flavor of the OS you want to use for the workstation, and go forward.

3. dumpystig

dumpystig Private E-2

Hmm... thanks, but going off the research I've done over the last few days I have to say at the very least that's an oversimplification.

I already know of some hurdles to overcome - physical size of mobo, support for/(in)compatibility between SCSI and SATA/IDE, pre-installed graphics [poor], PCI-E, fan noise - and almost certainly more...

This is why I'm hoping for advice from someone that's actually done a similar 'conversion', you know, "been there, done that".

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I have done this & I'd say the biggest issues is the noise. Those slim U1 cases have some small LOUD fans. But this is a server, so the issues will possibly be finding drivers for a desktop OS, which this unit does support, even XP. These are not designed for gaming / graphics, but can be a decent general use desktop (16MB is small). If you choose to run a desktop OS your not going to get the full effect either given the RAM and multi processor support (not just cores). You mention the SCSI, the unit hs IDE listed so you don't need to use the SCSI

But from the sounds of your reply your "repurposing", sounds like you plan to recase this unit ie
    .. now that I have not tried. Desktop cases are made for ATX, this unit is:Form Factor Proprietary, doesn't look good, maybe with a dremel and some tinsnips you can make something work.

Really I'd buy a desktop, unless your getting it for free or going to run a real server, and can put up with the fans.

5. dumpystig

dumpystig Private E-2

Some good points there foogoo.

Yes, you're correct in assuming I'm going to 're-case' it. So I can adapt an existing case to suit my/the mobo's needs. The fan noise is easy to deal with, and modding an existing case will be no prob - a Dremmel is just one of the many tools I own and I'm really good at modding/adapting/converting almost anything.

My plan is centred around a SuperMicro Superserver6015P-8R with X7DPB-8 mobo. I could much easier buy/build a regular PC but I really want the extra challenge of adapting a server. I am fully aware of a lot of the pitfalls/problems with hardware, software, OS, drivers, compatibility issues etc., but a successful build would give me massive satisfaction as well as (hopefully) a great purpose built machine.

The past few days I've done tons of research and now have a lot of info to help me along the way. So far (fingers x'd) I'm optimistic this will be a good viable proposition. But I still would like input from someone who has achieved success with a similar build/conversion.
    And any advice like yours is also welcome, and if you want to let me know more about your server project then feel free. Cheers

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  6. dumpystig

dumpystig Private E-2

Oh yeah, about the fans - there's 10 in this server - 8 in the main chassis and 1 in each PSU!!! The guy who has it said he had it powered up in his garage and he could hear it very loudly in his house 30' away :-D

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

For something to be used for mobile disc jockeying, it would be a good system. As for pulling the motherboard and putting in another case, just need to find one that fits what you want. But yeah, those puppies are screamers, when it comes to the fans. We use a rack mount server at our church for Media Shout during services, but it is a Quad Core, with two very high end graphics cards. That sucker could beat the pants off of any machine running WOW.

8. dumpystig

dumpystig Private E-2

Once I have the server I will be in a better position to plan the way forward, although I'm sure the fans will almost certainly be going.
    One of the first things will be sourcing a case - definitely NOT a gaming case if I can help it - that will take the mobo; it's 16.2 x 11.25 in (411.5 x 285.8 mm), so pretty big (the server is 27 in deep!).

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It is not so much the case for the server, but the mobo. If the mobo is the one that I am finding on searches for that unit that you have, it will be hard to get a desktop or larger rack mount case. Now of course back in the Home Brew days, people would make their own cases out of wood, etc.

10. dumpystig

dumpystig Private E-2

Yeah it's the mobo in post #5 - very big but I reckon I will be able to adapt a suitable case once I find one. There's still plenty of other stuff I have to be certain of before I actually go ahead and buy the server.

11. dumpystig

dumpystig Private E-2

Quick update -

I decided against the server - too many probs trying to find a suitable method of making a clean installation of the mobo and everything else. Also not many options with that board for a decent GPU.

So I opted for a HP xw6600 workstation, should have it delivered on Monday. I know it's a totally different piece of kit but it should work out as a good option for upgrading if/when I feel the need. If anyone is interested I can return with my findings once I've received it and run it for a while.

Thanks for the help from the previous posters :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds