REQ: NVIDIA FX5200 Video card optimum settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sjp, Oct 12, 2005.

1. sjp

sjp Private E-2

Can anyone help me optimise the graphics card to run GTA SA, Half Life 2 etc.. without the glitches and jumps (mainly when there is a lot of sound etc...)

I fitted a soundblaster live card and switched of the motherboard sound via the bios which i thought would help (i thought the soundcard would take some strain of the CPU)

Or will i just need a better CPU? 2ghz or more?

Gigabyte GA-7S748 motherboard
    768mb RAM (DDR400)
    NVIDIA XFX FX5500 128mb AGP 8x card
    Athlon 1.26Ghz Processor
    Win XP Pro SP2
    19" sony CRT monitor
    1024x768 16bit setup on most games and main screen

I try to switch of any AF AA etc... on the graphics.

I DO run Norton Systemworks but disable it when playing games. I also have all my PC's networked together (hard wired) but disable the LAN when playing online (this also supplies my broadband via LAN ADSL modem).

Thanks in advance!

Si.

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I don't think the geforce fx 5200 is fast enough for gta san andreas and half life 2 because i have ran gta san andreas with a geforce fx 5700le and i must be getting at least 30-40 fps with it.

3. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I can't speak of San Andreas but my 5200 plays HL2 fine. Never checked the FPS but I rarely get any lag (with NIS running). I have a 2.4Ghz P4 and a Gig of ram. "sjp", I won't be able to check the video settings till Friday, I'm sure they are mid to low settings but it works for me.

4. sjp

sjp Private E-2

It must be ok since a mate of mine doesnt get the jerkyness i get?

Im sure its just down to tweeking of some type?

I know the card would be crap for full settings, I just want it to be smoother if possible?

Thanks though for yout post. :)

5. sjp

sjp Private E-2

maybe i DO need a faster processor?

How do you check the FPS?

Cheers again mate!

SI.

6. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

You can use FRAPS to check your FPS, although I'm not sure it's compatible with all games as I haven't used it in a while.

I think the best thing to do,in your case, is set all the effects either off or low or performance, and then move them up a step one by one untill it's unplayable then move it back a step till it's playable. Also do that in the display properties. Make sure AA and AF are off(even my system has some trouble with those on.) And keep the resolution at 800x600.

There's a guide to tweaking half life HERE

7. sjp

sjp Private E-2

Cheers mate!

Its great to finally get direct PC answers for once as i normally have to sit for hours either finding the answer myself or searching on Google!

I build PC's daily (custom & repair) so hope my experiences/PC skills will be useful to someone on this forum.

Glad i joined now...thanks to someone reccomending it on a music forum (bangingtunes.com). hope you dont mind the plug since it was there they plugged this forum :)

Thanks again!

Si. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds