Requesting help with New Machine Again, Please...?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Nov 17, 2011.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

WIN7 Home Premium 64-Bit, 1.6GHz AMD Dual-Core "Vision", 320GB Hard Drive, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6310 GPU

I have to admit to being a bit "afraid" (timid, hesitant, etc) to post anything such as this here, now, because I've been shot-down rather harshly as of late (mostly quite undeservedly, in my EXTREMELY humble opinion - obviously).

Admittedly, I was panicked...and dramatic (ok, "OVERLY"-dramatic), though there were/are very good "reasons" that were/are very REAL to me/for me, time-sensitivity among them, and psychological HEALTH (in large part due to pressing physical Health issues/problems raining [and reigning] down on me.

Ok..."some" things are now better - among these are that I now have MAXED-UP to 4GIGS of RAM. That is now as good as it's EVER going to get, so I'm pretty sure there is nothing else I/we can do with or about that (other than maybe get the fancy-shmancy type with heat-sinks or whatever...and then perhaps there are programs I could download and employ to help...uh, no, never mind that please...).

I have practically begged for someone with patience to assist me in getting some things straightened-out on this 5-6 week-"old" machine, and well...I don't want to go back over that (although I did post numbers of times before I even GOT the machine, and then right-off-the-bat when it arrived (after charging the battery a few hours).

I really need to go from the beginning, step-by-step - getting all the bloat-load that came in the box with the machine, and which PC-Decrapifier won't seem to "treat" (help) me with.

I need to know which some of the better methods of handing my start-ups will be (I can't use WIN-Defender as i am using MS-MSE - partly based-on recommendations from some here to do so.

And so-on. I simply don't understand things such as if the default MS "Starter" programs for the likes of Word and Excel are as good as what I may be able to get from Open-Office or Abi-word or whatever...?

Please...someone please help guide me here, because to a LARGE degree/extent I really enjoy my new NET-book - which I did NOT even know was/IS a NET-book and "not" a NOTE-book ... until just the past 24 hours-or-so.

A need a bit of a "mentor" for a few days...this machine is still relatively "new" and "UN-messed-up" by grc123 ... so far. Please don't allow me to screw it as I have done with 2000, XP, and Vista machines....... . . . . please?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. pistol

pistol Private First Class

try this,and check this tutorial out first http://www.howtogeek.com/79803/see-all-processes-during-windows-startup-using-autoruns/
    autorun

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2011
  3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

4. LauraR

Glenn, is this a different laptop from the previous one you have posted about...the one with the mousepad problem? Or have you restored it to Factory Settings?

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Having read most of the threads/posts associated with this new netbook I firmly believe you need to give an experienced person who you trust direct access to your machine so that there can be realtime interaction between you and your advisor. Ideally this would mean for him/her to be physically present, but it can also be done perfectly satisfactorily over the internet these days through the use of remote desktop connections.

Win 7 has a built-in remote desktop feature which would do the job, but imo the mobile version of TeamViewer is best. In this setup you put the app on a pen drive, start it, and provide your id and one-time password to your advisor who can then access your machine as just a watcher (while talking on the phone), or with your agreement can actually take control of it, still while talking on the phone. He can also send files back and forth. The beauty of this arrangement is that TeamViewer is not installed on your computer and can only run while you have the pen drive in place, have launched the program from it, and provided the logon details to the advisor. So it's completely safe from abuse - unless your advisor abuses it of course ;)

The alternative is more lengthy and unsatisfactory toing and froing through this forum. It hasn't worked so far, and imo won't do so in future, not to your satisfaction anyway.

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I Do Not mean to conflict with Earthling's excellent suggestion, however, Startup Control Panel Standalone Version
    is a much simpler program for managing Startup programs, compared to the one previously mentioned.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

mjnc, note Startup Control Panel has not changed since 2004 and does not say it works with windows 7 which Glenn is running.
    Until we have someone who is willing to test and see if it does work with Win 7, I continue recommending WinPatrol for those running Vista and Win 7.

8. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Thanks, plodr.

I was relying on the info on the MG download page.
    It says, Requires: Win All

Startup-CP-MG-Download.jpg

9. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

If possible, I think you should seriously consider Earthling's suggestion. It makes a lot of sense.

None the less, since you're starting from ground zero, for folks to help it would be a good idea to give an overall description of how your new netbook is going to be used.

In other words the primary and secondary uses. Photo editing, writing(articles, books), accounting, design work, surfing the web etc.? This will help decide, from what you have installed, that you should keep, what to get rid of and what you need to add. And this is why Earthling's suggestion is a good idea. It would be one on one. When you have multiple people trying to help you, they may not all be aware of all the "particulars" hence you can end up with suggestions that may not take everything into account. But, onward...

Getting rid of bloatware is always desirable but, something is only bloatware if you don't use it or it is detrimental to the use of the machine(and it doesn't fit into the malicious category).

Stopping auto startups, many programs offer the option within their configuration and it depends again on how you use your computer which if any, you want to startup. While many services are absolutely necessary, some services can be shut down via the control panel administrative tools. To determine what needs to stay and what needs to go, what needs to startup and what doesn't, it is necessary to know what is installed that you need and use and how you use it.

For those programs that do not offer an option for auto startup there are third party applications that can help. This is where applications(tools) such as WinPatrol and many others come into play. Can't determine how to use those though until it is known what applications and services are going to be used. And to figure what those are, depends on what you're trying to achieve(your goal) in using the computer.

"I really enjoy my new NET-book", that's good to hear but also brings to mind 'if ain't broke don't fix it.'

10. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hello everyone...

I sooooo do not mean (did not intend) to cause a big commotion here, over this, my own personal problem(s) and shortcomings. I really absolutely did not/do not wish that. I've "been here" too long, and made too many Friends (sadly a number of who seem to have moved-on, and which is very much my loss) for that.

I really did not think very well about how best to proceed...I was told years ago to 'keep things "IN" the forums as much as possible, so that others could benefit and learn along with me from the lessons of others.

That said, I "DO", however, very much prefer a low profile - in most things in life (Humility trumps insecurity, in my world, generally-speaking).

I think in part, at least, although to an absolute degree of certainty, that which Earthing was/is advocating/suggesting ('Remote Desktop Connect') is something now, in hindsight, I wish I had "whispered" to someone (via PM).

Through the lessons learned here (and to be fair, elsewhere) one of the VERY first actions I took on this machine was to disable THAT (hah), though it would be simple enough to enable it for an hour or whatever, to delve into that realm.

It has only become more apparent to me, as time "Halo" (David) bailing me out, and getting me through just about anything I couldn't on my own, or had gotten myself too deeply into. There have certainly been others as well, who shall remain nameless at this moment.

Laura, yes, same machine, I've simply added an external/plug-in/USB mouse, which helps IMMENSELY, that is, when I don't get "lazy" (sloppy) and forget to use it. Make a TREMENDOUS difference, for me.

I'm not too sure what else to say at the moment, and I am thinking that it is part of the issue that I have, in that I too often take EVERYONE'S suggestions, and either "blend" them, or take some and attempt to Learn: something else from the others . . . (if THAT makes ANY sense?!?).

I feel awful now for having created SUCH a stir, and not sure which question/issue I would be best-advised to answer here now, nor to whom it is I am trying to direct it to/follow (?).

I apologize.

Best,
    glenn

11. Earthling

Until you are able to provide a clear answer Glenn to Plastidust's primary question - what do you want to be able to do on this computer - no one will be able to move you forward regardless of the methods to be used. But I get the distinct impression that you don't actually use it for anything productive, you simply want to learn more about it and know how to try different things out without wrecking it. If that's right then that's fine, it's how many of us learned what we now know, but it also means you have to be prepared to do a lot of what-iffing yourself, and know how to get yourself out of trouble when it inevitably arrives.

I may be miles off target with these comments, but if not then just say so and we will point you toward the tools every inveterate tinkerer needs to have on hand.

12. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

The machine was specifically bought to make a run at buying/selling online.

Besides that, I consider just about everything done with my life as "productive".

About the only thing I know a computer to be unproductive for, is "games", some games quite specifically - though my understanding now is that various armed-forces around the globe do use some others in training.

I do "not" play video games, unless it has been at the request of my 10 year-old child, who does play some of these.

Otherwise, I have always done TREMENDOUS amounts of research into various pursuits, hobbies, interests, etc - from automotive and farm implementation (tractor, various machine/equipment) maintenance and repair, to learning of political trends, news, religious instruction, firearms care, maintenance, safety, and . . . believe it or not - computer technology - I could go-on virtually ad-infinitum.

As I am having these issues here with my new Netbook, I am seriously grappling with a leaking transmission on the car, and a pistol that has had some malfunction(s) ... both infinitely more serious than my computer problems, but they ae now all tied together. I can't reach people to communicate with RE: the transmission, and the firearm (strictly used for target, home-self defense, and varmint-control on a farm of several hundred acres.

Again, the machine was specifically bought to make a run at buying/selling online, and now with an external mouse, I think I may be able to learn how to go-about that, now...soon.

13. Earthling

I'm very sorry if my remarks have caused any offence as none was intended. I'm merely struggling, as others may be, to understand what all this is really about. If it is online buying and selling as you say, plus the ability to delve into any subject at all, then that only requires knowledge of how to use a browser, keyboard and mouse, and to have adequate security installed and maintained. It is not affected at all by unwanted programs the manufacturer may have preinstalled and it does not require you to install any additional software, other than perhaps some note-taking and organising ability.

Sorry, but I remain as puzzled as ever as to what it is you think you need so much assistance with.

14. LauraR

Okay...I'm going to try to simplify this...going by your two goals you made in your first post:

Starting with bloatware: You say PC-Decrapifier doesn't help you. Why is that? You were not able to run it? You didn't understand what to get rid of?

Did you happen to see MA's tutorial on it?: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=244047

Now...what you are going to get is a list of programs that are installed on your computer. It is Not going to automatically pick what to uninstall for you. You need to make the decision what you want to uninstall and what you want to keep. ONLY uninstall those programs you are sure you do not want or need. If you don't know, leave them alone. (Btw, with 4G of RAM, a program or two is not going to make a difference on your computer.)

Write down the ones you are questioning. Either look them up online, or come back here and list those programs and someone will try to guide you.

You other option, if you can not get PC-Decrapifier to work....just use your ADD/REMOVE This is the simplest option and is also effective.

A third option, is of course Revo...this is the way I do it. It lists all your programs and you choose what to uninstall.

I would like to repeat that 2...or 10 programs installed that you don't use are Not going to effect your machine. Do not rush into uninstalling things or even worrying about them being on there.

I'm also going to ask that until you get this done to your satisfaction, that you don't move on to anything else.

Don't worry about your start up items just yet. :)

15. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks Earthling and Laura R. I am going to try (so hard) to be as brief as possible.

"It" for me, is really a matter of being able to take control of "my" machine. Really "own it"...TAKE CHARGE, and "command" of it. I don't think that is too much to ask.

God (and some good folks around here) know I've struggled in the past, however, other than not EVER being able to get a printer to work on the Vista machine (which I am concurrently working on - yet again - with the help of oma here), "we" have managed to "do" everything else we (I) have wanted to do . . . which is, as Earthling here mentioned in his last post, is not really much. It ain't much at all.

I've used PC-Decrapifier before...on several machines - always managed to "make things happen" with it. And yes, I read MA's post (Sticky"?) on it. Perhaps Asus or whomever is in charge of installing this stuff on their machines has simply fooled PC-Decrap this time, and that's all good fine and well - I have been using Add/Remove (Known since at least Vista as "Programs and Features"). I also have Revo installed (well, sort of...I have it on my machines (plural), but always have to RE-install it every time I wish to use it (??). Just another one f the gapping holes in my very-limited knowledge/understanding of all these things. Revo sits in my downloads list (Folder?), and I've always had to go through the whole install process whenever I wish to use it (perhaps that's the way it's supposed to be...though "somehow", I doubt it?).

What I am calling "Bloat", I may (probably am) "mis-naming" ...
    "Bloat", in my case, may well be a misnomer. It's
    It's all this stuff that Asus has here (and other manufacturers have the same "sort" of stuff as well), that is "unique" or "exclusive" to their brand.

In this (my) instance, I am speaking of hoping to be able to get rid of Start-ups which I have NO CLUE - whatsoever - that they are there for (??), and I think I can point most of them out in the Start-up Manager that I initially installed, and still (for the moment at least) have on here (screen-shot to be attached).

Getting back to "controlling", and taking charge of my own machine, MS (Microsoft) seems to follow a very close 2nd in the number of ..."things" on the machine, which I simply do not know if I need or not, and of which I wonder (incessantly) if perhaps I could do better (much better, in a number of ways), by uninstalling, and replacing (at the moment right off the top of my head I am thinking of all the "Starter" *stuff* that was left after the trials expired.

I think it'a the same with the Asus *stuff* I still have - "Trials" ... I don't care for all the things, that doing nothing (or little more than) just sit-around on a machine...if nothing else it's hard on the eyes...appears cluttered - not to mention taking up space, which to mean means DEAD space.

That's a lot of it my Friends...simply wanting (demanding, really - though not "demanding" from you all here...not from anyone outside of the manufacturers, really), but I wish to know EXACTLY what is ON "my" machine.

Much of it (as in the case of MS), I will probably NEVER know, because it doesn't interest me enough, it's boring (to me), and when we inquire about around the www, we get answers to the effect; "well, it "may not" be "vital" currently, but we have a feeling it will be necessary to run certain types of architecture (programs) in the future .... . . . ".

There are a few other, rather minor things I would LOVE to know/understand/be able to make the call on/pull the plug on if I, or we, via consensus, deem it expendable, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment.

It's about organization..."clutter" (NON-clutter, more accurately), and "command and control", over something I really believe I not only have a "right" to be in such position over . . . but Honestly, a "responsibility" to be.

Sorry this ran so long . . . : (

Best,
    glenn

Attached Files:

16. LauraR

Okay...please stick to one thing at a time.

Do you want to uninstall programs? If so, list the ones you are questioning if you need (in list form, not in a paragraph ;))

You've listed your startup items in ccleaner, but you've cut off the path to them...can you please include that in another attachment?

I use ccleaner to control my startups.

As per DavidGP to me in a previous thread:

So...the ones you have 'Disabled', just delete them from your start ups if you are sure you don't need them. Since they were disabled, I didn't look at them.

You can delete StartCCC. It is your Video Card settings panel. You can manually open that yourself if you ever have to go in and change anything.

MSC is your Microsoft Security Essentials....you need that to start.
    Comodo, you obviously need as well.

eee Docking: "Intuitive shortcuts for easy access to digital content, services, and useful software on the Asus Eee PC range". I would disable this and if after a few days of accessing content you don't notice anything, delete it.

Found in a search on the ASUS support forum, which has some useful info for ASUS owners (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100417105932234&board_id=20&model=Eee+PC+1005PE&SLanguage=en-us&page=1): Says you should keep SuperHybridEngine

17. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Excellent - thank you Laura.

I really am trying very hard to be brief/concise, I just get lost in posts sometimes trying to explain/describe/convey/etc.

I will work on a "LIST" ("not" a paragraph ... or five ;) ).

I recalled David telling me the same about it being fine to "Delete" (though not manage) from CCleaner - and yes, you seem to have intuitively understood that I don't "get" all the Asus "extras" (the same as with most manufacturers I suppose).

I should be able to have list together - and posted here - within ("about/approximately") an hour.

Thanks again . . .

18. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Delayed (of course), however, I am here now.

Had this idea (to draw circles in Add/Remove) last evening (had forgotten about it in my earlier post here today):

I will go-ahead and post these attachments here now, anyway, whilst simultaneously working-on an actual list as requested (though perhaps now not needed?) as well as a very short (at this point) list of start-up programs that I would "like" to purge, though we shall see if that is viable/possible ... as you-all, here, can be the judge(s) for me.

I realize you've answered some of the Asus program questions in this screen-shot, however, I had already circled them, so please simply ignore those.

There are a couple (2) which are crossed-through ("X"), and I will be removing them (for instance, I didn't realize that MBAM had gone to being Trialware until I was already in the process of downloading it from MG'S, here).

You've already been most kind to answer/explain on several of these, again, however, they were marked (circled) for potential/possible removal ("DEMOLITION") previously - thank you.

Attached Files:

19. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I apologize Laura, I almost forgot to show the Path per your request . . .and oh, I have now also taken your suggestion to "disable" the "EEE Docking" thing, and will look for any issues for the next week or so.

Thanks again and in advance,
    glenn

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  20. LauraR

Programs:

Adobe Air- You can uninstall this. If you have anything that uses it, you'll be prompted to download it, but I doubt you do.
    AMD Catalyst Install Manager: Leave that alone. You need that to update drivers, etc for you Video Card
    ASUS Web storage: That's an online Cloud storage utility. It's up to you if you want to use it. It looks like it's free up to 2G. You might want to check it out and see if you get more storage, but that is totally up to you if you uninstall.
    Asmedia: I am almost 100% positive you need this one. I would leave it alone
    ASUS Screen Saver: Do you use screen savers? If not, uninstall. If you do, I'd leave it.
    DrEEE: Voice command software. If you think you will utilize that at some point, don't uninstall. If you don't think you will.... another up to you.
    Locale me: I have no idea. I'd leave it until you figure out what it is.
    ASUS Hotkey: Don't uninstall. This is for your hotkeys on your keyboard.
    Capshook: Shows when you Caps lock is on or off. Don't uninstall.
    Asus Vibe: I'd probably uninstall it, but up to you: "asus@vibe is a one-stop entertainment platform that serves as a value-added service for all ASUS products. With the asus@vibe platform, users can access or download a wealth of exciting and engaging digital content such as music, videos, games, magazines, e-books, as well as tune into their favorite radio stations and stream live TV anytime and anywhere!"
    Antheros Communication: Leave it. It's the driver for your Network Card
    Asus update for eeepc: I'd leave this one. I'd think it allows you to update your pc with it.

Microsoft .net Framework: I would personally leave this. You may run into issues with apps that use it if you remove it (such as MS office products)

All your listed Office products: If they are trials, you can just uninstall. If you want them and are going to pay for them, you can install them when you buy.

Microsoft Silverlight: Not necessary, but I'd leave it (up to you though). Some of the flashlike apps such as on the Microsoft website use it.

Windows Live Essentials: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials?os=other Another up to you thing. Do you use any of the things in the link? Leave it then. You might want to just leave it for a few months. If you find you don't use any of it. Uninstall it.

The MS items look like Service pack items: Personally, I don't touch any of that.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  21. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I uninstalled this...I think you're correct (I hope anyway), but as soon as it disappeared I had just a tad bit of that awful, sinking feeling...? I think it'll be okay though...

I "thought" (think) this is/was a "two-month Trial" (?), but there seems to be different, conflicting expiration dates, so it's VERY confusing to me. I have no clue how to verify the date(s) and then I would have to take time to figure it out (how to use it) ... Sheesh. Would be nice to have the storage (just in case for some reason I "needed" it??), but I've never had ANY luck with virtual storage...MG'S here, at one time, had offered something (free?) such as this (and perhaps still does??), but I could never seem to get it to work (sorry Tim and ..."Jim"?). I'll have to leave Asus Web Storage on the machine...for now . . .

I'm really not sure I "get" (understand) this...? I mean, Windows comes with screen-savers, so I suppose unless I want to "Advertise" or promote the Asus-brand on my desktop, to myself and/or whomever passes-by (happens to see) my screen...?

This will be an ABSOLUTE (and a God-Send!) for me some day, in the not-so-distant future, what with the problems I have with my hands/spine, so....
    To this day I am still not sure what "Hotkeys" are, but I will leave it.

This is crazy, in that I have a light (on the case, adjacent to Power lights, etc.) that notifies me of this (or is THAT what "THIS" IS??), but I also "used to" (the first few weeks I had the machine) have a little pop-up notification that would alert me as well - and which I really LIKED...however, that has now disappeared ... ? :(

I'm intrigued...for the moment anyway - I'm going to hang-on to this - for now.

Now THESE are TWO BIG question marks for me here...I know Office 2010 is a Trial, I don't work in an office, so, it's going . . . however, the other one that's "Click-to-Run" - I have NO clue what that is, and I would LIKE to keep "Starter", as this would avail me "some" degree or extent of Word, Excel, etc., and having some of the basic elements of those programs is all the functionality I would need out of them (unless of course there are better programs to be had such as Open-Office or Abi-Word or something?). I guess I just have to leave all three of these, because I just don't know if I'll lose Starter and/or "Click-to-Run" if I eliminate what would seem to be the foundation of it all - MS Office 2010 (?).

I don't recall what SO annoys me about this Silverlight "thing", but it annoys the HECK outta me. Not sure what to do with it (and might not be sure what to do if I don't have it, so...OK MICROSOFT!!! I RECKON YOU "GOT ME" on THIS one...

This one, also, just annoys me to no end (not sure why, exactly, but it does)...but, I "probably" use some of it at least (I do have a "Hotmail" account), so, I suppose I'm *STUCK* with it - GRRRRR!!!!!!

Me neither..I'll leave this alone, and I have followed your recommendations on all others that I left out of this copy/paste quote of yours.

Thank you again Laura, and hopefully in advance, that is, if you're willing to comment a final time on this thread?

Best,
    glenn . . .

22. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Hotkeys are nothing more than a set of key sequences that you press at the same time to invoke a specific action. For instance, pressing the [Ctrl] key along with the [Shift] key and the [Esc] key will bring up the taskmanager.

Info about "Click-to-Run".

LibreOffice and OpenOffice are both full featured MS Office work alikes. You might not ever use all of the features either one offers but you would have them if you needed them. If you had either one of these installed you would be replacing the MS Office trial, the Starter and would probably have no need of "Click-to-Run."

Starter is, more or less, crippled versions of Word and Excel.

While AbiWord is a nice little word processor, an MS Word work alike, it does not include a spreadsheet(Excel) as far as I know.

Think you should keep SilverLight. Since you do "tremendous amounts of research", it is quite likely you will sooner or later bump into a site that requires SilverLight to be installed.

LocaleMe evidently is a navigation tool that works with MS Bing map.

23. LauraR

You'll be fine. If you need it, you'll be prompted just like Adobe Reader. If you want it back, here's the download: http://get.adobe.com/air/

If I were you, I'd access the Webstorage and see what you get. If it's a trial and you don't want it, uninstall. Looking at it again, it probably is a trial for it, but you might as well check it out.

This one, I'm not sure about. When I found info the first time, it seemed to be for all the screensavers. If you have a number of screensavers available, and use them, I would not uninstall this. The idea that this entry in your installed programs is for one ASUS branded one does not make sense. Most brands have their own advertising one running when you by it and then most people switch after they get it to one of the others.

See plastidust's post.:)

I think it has to do with the fact that you disabled your Bluetooth on startup, Glenn. Looking at your one screencap...if you want the pop up for the caps lock, you should enable BTray.exe. See if that works, anyway. On research, it helped some on the Asus forums.

See Plastidust's post.

Not a problem.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds