reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Win XP & Unable to contact IP driver, error code2

Discussion in 'Software' started by bsfisher, Nov 11, 2007.

1. bsfisher

bsfisher Private E-2

problem: #1 I have moved and I CAN'T locate my XP restore CD's (YET) But I do have the original OEM DELL driver CD's so I'd like to try and fix my errors so I don't have to reload the XP OS as DELL has suggested. And Please don't respond by this 8200 is old and you should just get a newer PC for $399 that's not the point this has become a FREAKIN QUEST and obsession! :foolish:banghead:guns:hammer

I have a Dell 8200 desktop (orig. WinME but upgraded to XPsp2) P4/1GB RAM has not ran for 2-3 years had bad mobo, was on Internet 2-3 yrs ago before shutdown problems, may have had a virus also?? BUT I THINK I got that all cleaned up before I packed it away(pretty sure). Anyway 2-3 years goes by and I replaced the mobo this week with a new dell refurb 8200 mobo $59 from SJK Co. It's running like a champ.....a little slow loading all the startup icons and I have read this may be becasue of the TCP/IP errors, Tried to use my linksys wifi adapter and it shows connected but I still can't get on the internet. I was on the phone with DELL and Linksys for about 8 hours and my wifi dapter and router are working fine as I have two other laptops currently connected (1=XP 1=Vista)

Dell called me back and I hooked up the 8200 directly to my internet and it shows connected but still no internet, Dell had me reload winsock and this command netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and then they had me go to a dos prompt and do the ipconfig here is what that says:
    c:\Documents and Settings \smfisher>ipconfig
    Windows IO configuration
    An internal error occured: The Request is not supported
    Please contact Microsoft Product Support Service for further help
    Addintional information: Unable to query host name

and when I try and ping the linksys site it says :
    Ping: "Unable to contact IP driver, error code 2"

DELL says sorry since you put in a different mobo you should try and reload the OS then when you get on the internet we can reflash your bios
    So I was searching for other ways to reload TCP/IP without reloading the OS

basiscly we tried everything here just as this poor soul has done: http://www.ureader.com/message/1338775.aspx
    except #5 becasue I can't find the XP OS disk yet

1. remove and re-install NIC (Successful, did not fix)
    2. delete registry keys for WinSock and WinSock2 (Successful, did not fix)
    3. netsh int ip reset ipreset_log.txt (Successful, did not fix)
    4. uninstall TCP/IP protocol driver, re-install (Successful, did not fix)
    5. Windows XP installation repair (from OEM CD, complete overwrite of OS)
    (Successful, did not fix)

I searched and thought I found a fix....."GUIDED HELP" from Microsoft, this little link and download that reloads the TCP/IP WOW
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
    Guided Help is available to reset TCP/IP. Guided Help can automatically perform the steps for you.

I downloaded the file to my laptop that works fine and is already connected to the internet with IE7, I run the pgm and it ask DO YOU WANT TO RUN GUIDED HELP ON THIS COMPUTER OR ANOTHER COMPUTER
    I select RUN ON ANOTHER COMPUTER
    and I get the message : "guided help cannot be downloaded right now" [WTF!!!!!!!]
    if not now WHEN WTF!!!!!!!! is their server busy? was there ever a program for "ANOTHER COMPUTER" WTF!!!!
    WHY CAN'T I DOWNLOAD THIS!!! to my flash drive to run on my DELL 8200

Do I have to issue all these command lines rather than have this handy dandy program do it for me???
    A MAC is looking SO freaking good right now (did I just type that out loud?) :(
    PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEE!!!!!:cry
    I know you guys can, You MAJOR GEEKS have ALWAYS helped me before :major
    ~untech guy:yum

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Re: reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Win XP & Unable to contact IP driver, error c

Have you considered that your driver is not compatable with the hardware? or even that maybe that refurbished mb was only checked for a post? ed

3. bsfisher

bsfisher Private E-2

Re: reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Win XP & Unable to contact IP driver, error c

And I would know this by what means??.....
    I would think Dell or Linksys Support would have said your system is not supported or compatible?

Lets say the driver is compatible with the hardware and the mb was checked beyond post. Now what?

maybe I can bring it over to you to look at? I see your in Vincent OH. and I'm about 15 miles away from you over in Washington WV.

The Dell 8200 and new mobo aside.....my real question is/was this:

."GUIDED HELP" from Microsoft, this little link and download that reloads the TCP/IP for you at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

I downloaded the file to my laptop that works fine and is already connected to the internet with IE7, I run the pgm and it ask DO YOU WANT TO RUN GUIDED HELP ON THIS COMPUTER OR ANOTHER COMPUTER
    I select RUN ON ANOTHER COMPUTER (to start a download)
    and I get the message : "guided help cannot be downloaded right now"

Why not? if not now WHEN?? was there ever a program to download to another computer? or is this some kind of Microsoft conspiracy WHY CAN'T I DOWNLOAD THIS to my flash drive to run on another computer

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Go to device manager and see if you have any X's or ! or ? next to your nic device.

Go to start / run / type cmd and at the prompt ...type
    ipconfig /all

post the results.

5. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Yes i was born in washington bottom, this is why i moved to ohio. ed

6. bsfisher

bsfisher Private E-2

wifi shows connected / strength VERY GOOD 54.0 Mbps/ packets sent =7 Received=4
    no info under support tab (address type: IP Address: Subnet Mask: Default Gateway)
    no internet page can be displayed

Device Manager
    Net adapters looks good no ? or !
    -1394 Net adapter
    -CNet PRO200WL PCI FAST Ethernet Adapter
    -Linksys Wirless-G USB Network Adapter

c:\Documents and Settings \smfisher>ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
    An internal error occurred: The Request is not supported.
    Please contact Microsoft Product Support Service for further help.
    Additional information: Unable to query host name.

When I try and ping the linksys site it says :
    c:\Documents and Settings \smfisher>ipconfig / ping 192.168.1.1
    Unable to contact IP driver, error code 2

7. bsfisher

bsfisher Private E-2

ooops.....i mean ......>ping 192.168.1.1
    I issued the command correctly just copied it in my reply wrong rolleyes

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Right click My Network places / properties ...what is there?

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

For step 2, you deleted the winsock keys in the registry. Yet, you never reinstalled them? Step 3 does not reinstall them. Step 4 does not do what it appears to without modification to the .inf. Step 5 may very well have sealed your fate.

There is a good chance that TCP/IP is no longer installed, or properly installed on the OS. This is not a plug and play thing; when its gone, it stays gone.

The driver for the NIC is irrelevant here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259 is partially incorrect.

Yes, the XP SP2 instructions are correct for reinstalling the winsock. The rest are not.

Yes, you need to remove the winsock and winsock 2 keys. No, reinstalling TCP/IP does not fix it. It never has, and it never will. I was there when we tried to convince Microsoft that the article was flawed, yet they did not fix it.

The only way to fix a winsock problem prior to SP2 is to have a good working backup of the keys. Then you merge those in. Because you did a repair, your options are very limited, as you no longer have any working backups. If it so happens that you have SP2 installed, feel free to try the winsock fix as outlined for SP2. However, it has been my experience that removing the keys and then trying the SP2 fix does not work, as it breaks the functionality of netsh to fix it.

So, I see three options here.

1. Have someone email you good, working copies of the winsock and winsock 2 keys.
    2. Find an application that may be able to repair the issue for you. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4899.html might work.
    3. Clean installation. Back up your data and start over.

If TCP/IP is damaged in any way in this installation of XP, option 3 is probably your only answer.

10. bsfisher

bsfisher Private E-2

Hey Ya'll
    I'm sending you this message from my.......wait for it......
    my DELL 8200 :hyper :dancer :celebrate :dood
    which has been resurrected from the DEAD

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP
    and SPECIAL THANKS TO tunered;)

11. techneil

techneil Private E-2

Hello bsfisher. Are you able to be specific what action you carried out that allowed the fix to occur? Currently I'm faced with the same problem and I want to avoid the OS rebuild option. Thanks in anticipation of a reply asap.

12. bsfisher

bsfisher Private E-2

techneail:
    I had to reload the OS

13. techneil

techneil Private E-2

Thanks bsfisher....a sure fix!...however I went ahead and tried the suggestion of replacement of suspect file tspip.sys with a 'clean one' from another OS WinXP Pro and the result was successful after a reboot. All Ipconfig and ping commands showed restored connectivity.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds