Reset password/ recover data for WD My passport portable drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alvi, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Alvi

Alvi Private E-2

Hello everyone,

I own a Western Digital My passport 1TB external hard drive (model no: WXC1A2309911 if it's of any use). It has a WD unlocker and password protected that my pc remembers. But I upgraded my windows and now my pc can't recognize the password, I have forgotten what it was and I have no back up of all the data. To pour salt in the wound, the portable drive was sent to me from abroad and it has outlived the warranty. So if there is anyway to bypass the password? There is no reset button and I don't know whether it has 256 bit encryption so I'm afraid of formatting it. I read about a way of using linux command prompts but I have no clue about Linux. So, any help is appreciable.

So, is there any wise wizard out there?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3741

Looks like a format might be in order if you cannot remember it.

3. Frozwire

Frozwire Private E-2

I don't think that it is possible to decrypt the data from that drive without the password. Maybe there are ways but I think only experienced professionals in data recovery services knows that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds