resetting password on acer erecovery

Discussion in 'Software' started by Miguelito66, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Miguelito66

Miguelito66 Private E-2

Can you please help me
    i am at the ´partition find and mount´ menu but i cant find the unmounted image, or my physical HD.

Please Help Me

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It sounds like the hd is dead.
    Suppose you fill in some blanks:
    1. Brand and model of computer also desktop or laptop
    2. Why did you decide to try the UBCD; give as many details as possible as to what you saw and heard on your computer.
    3. Previously to booting the UBCD, did you try to fix anything; if so what did you do.

3. Miguelito66

Miguelito66 Private E-2

Acer 5315 Laptop Windows Vista Home (it's not mine)
    The laptop did not boot windows, it automatically went to the recovery, memory check, error check screen. But because i dont have the recovery cd's i had to try it with ALT+F10 but when i was there i found out that i didn't know the password, i tried the default password (000000) and (oooooo) also but nothing worked. So i thought that if i knew the password i could go in the recovery and reinstall/recover windows.?

So after searching the net i came across this forum.
    I decided to use Hiren's Boot CD because, well it said so here :)
    Everything works until i am at the screen where i have to find my physical HD.
    I only see the following:
    -Ramdrive(B:)
    -HirenBootCD9.7(D:)
    -MiniXP(X:)

So my problem here is that i cant find my Phsical HD?? (I'm a bit of a noob)
    Can you please tell me in details EXACTLY WHAT I AM SEARCHING FOR (Physical HD) I didn't try to fix anything, sorry for the long story.

Hope you can help:confused:)

4. plodr

One post I read says that in order to restore an Acer 5315 that you need to press Alt+F10 five times! I never heard of anything like that but since you are going around in circles at the moment, it is worth a try.

5. plodr

If you press F2 as soon as the computer is turned on, can you get into the BIOS or are you presented with a password popup?

Next, as soon as the computer boots up, press alt+ F10. Are you presented with a password popup?

I'm trying to figure out what sort of password was installed.

The hard drive, I expected to be C.
    The miniXP currently that Hiren's labels as X is probably the recovery partition, which is labeled D, unless you use the optical drive (Hiren's is in there now) and it steals the letter D.

6. Miguelito66

Miguelito66 Private E-2

I am presented with the password protection when i press ALT+F10, Acer eRecorvery Management.

I am trying to find out what my password is via this:

-Download Hiren's Boot CD 9.8
    -Boot to it and boot into MiniXP
    -After it loads, open Notepad and minimize it. You'll need it later.
    -Open the Hiren's Boot Menu app and scroll to the "Recovery" menu, then select Partition Find and Mount.
    -Select your physical HD and do a Normal Scan of the drive.-Once you find the hidden partition (approx. 5Gigs), mount it as any unused drive letter.
    -The AIMDRS.DAT file will be on the root of the drive. Now drag that file to Notepad that you opened earlier. Here's what it should look like:
    [MyData]
    PD=xxxxxx
    HT=<password hint>

whatever password you used should be displayed beside "PD".

Write that password down, reboot to Normal Windows and run the recovery managment tool.

I cant find my physical HD, that is where i am stuck, what do i need to choose?? I cant select the harddrive, only files that are in ramdrive(B: ) and mini XP.

7. plodr

As I said in post #2, if you can't find the hard drive, it seems like it might be dead. Then in post #5, I explained what I thought you were looking at.

8. snappyfish

snappyfish Private E-2

Worked perfeclty. Thanks ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds