resize Windows 7 partition

Discussion in 'Software' started by liveware, Sep 24, 2013.

1. liveware

liveware Private E-2

I need to shrink a Windows 7 partition from 40GB to 20GB or less.

Will the Shrink Volume program in Windows accomplish this? I've read there are limitations to the amount that a partition can be reduced.

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hey livewire, see if this helps-http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2672-partition-volume-shrink.html

3. liveware

liveware Private E-2

The article suggested a "3rd party hard drive partition management program" but didn't mention a specific one.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

That is because they talked about using Diskpart, which is built into Windows. They will not discuss options like Gpartd on a Linux live DVD, which is what most of us use.

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, liveware.

Why not use Win 7's native disk management routine before loading any 3rd-party software? Windows will query any partitions that you wish to shrink or expand and let you know the safe limits of the operation - simply right-click the partition and choose "Shrink" or "Expand".

To get an accurate answer it's better to defragment the partition(s) in question, and you'll probably get the "You cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where any unmovable files are located" warning, but at least you'll have established a good starting point.

Edit: my bad - I see that Nick T's link shows the Disk Management procedure. I still recommend using that procedure first to see what limits are imposed.

6. liveware

liveware Private E-2

According to several articles I read, Gparted will mess up a Windows 7 partition.

The reason I'm seeking a third party program is that based on the math I've seen in the articles, I'm only going to be able shave a few GB's off my 40GB partition with the native Windows disk management utility. (due to the immovable files)

I figured the MajorGeeks forum would be the place to get a recommendation for a program. Hasn't anyone done this before? Its straightforward.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What articles are those? The only way that you are going to mess up the partition, is if you are not being careful while doing it.

Diskpart will mess up the partition if you do not pay attention, while playing with the partitions.

So really what ever obscure article you saw, I would take that with a grain of salt, and forget what the write stated. Most likely they are one of those who hate Linux, and love Microsoft so much, that no other OS should be used.

8. liveware

liveware Private E-2

One of the articles was written by a Linux person. It was about preparing for a dual OS setup with Windows 7 and a Linux distro. The author seemed to be stating it as fact, that GParted does something that messes up a Windows 7 partition.

I had forgotten that the author mentioned a program called Perfect Disk. has anyone here used it before?

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Multiple_OS_Installation#Using_Shrink_Volume_on_Vista_and_Windows_7

Another article goes into more detail, saying that you can use GParted but then you will have a broken Windows installation that you will have to repair with your Windows (Vista or 7) Disc. I don't have a Windows 7 disc, so maybe I am out of luck. unless I can find another program

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Again, it was not due to Gpartd, it was due to the person using the software. 1000's have used Gpartd with no problems, when it comes to resizing Windows partitions.

As for that error, that is because GPartd does not rewrite the MBR for the Windows partition, so you have to do a repair after you resize.

10. liveware

liveware Private E-2

Does anyone know if there is something on UBCD4Win that will repair the MBR issue if I use Gparted? (in lieu of a Windows 7 CD which I don't have)

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Probably would find your answer at http://www.ubcd4win.com/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds