Restore corrupted file

Discussion in 'Software' started by lpontius1, Jun 24, 2010.

1. lpontius1

lpontius1 Private E-2

I decided to reinstall Windows XP & backed up my files using an online backup service. I downloaded all my backups to restore them, but the file that has all of my stuff (pics, docs, etc) won't open. When I try, I get a message saying the file is invalid or corrupted. Is there anything I can do w/ this, or am I just outta luck? :cry

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

What is the file extension? What site did you use to back up?

3. lpontius1

lpontius1 Private E-2

The file that won't open is a .zip file, & I used mozy.com to backup my files.

4. lpontius1

lpontius1 Private E-2

I have been through the wringer for the last month with their support team. They seem to want to close the case more than help me figure out how to get my information back. If a file is corrupted is it gone forever, or is there some way to recover/repair it? Had I known this was going to be such a hassle, I would have had backups of my backups of my backups just in case! :(

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

6. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

What "zip" utility/utilities have you tried? If you haven't tried TUGZip or 7-Zip you might give one or both of them a go. I don't know about 7-Zip but TUGZip has a "Repair Archive" feature. Don't know how well the feature works though as I've never had to use it. If you decide to try it, make a copy of your backup file first, just in case.

Before you try a repair, you might just try to do a normal extraction with either one first to see how it goes.

7. lpontius1

lpontius1 Private E-2

I have tried 7-Zip to no avail. I'm waiting for one last hail mary from the company, but they seem to think it's my fault even though they are the ones who zipped the file. Once they get back to me, I will definitely give TUGZip a try and let ya'll know what happens.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds