Restore File Type Associations After Nero Install

Discussion in 'Software' started by Enzo Matrix, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix Private E-2

Okay here's the thing. I got a nag screen on my nero showtime that said my right to used the program had expired. and that it was no longer supported. And While I REALLY don't wanna, it looks like I am going to have to move from XP pro, to VISTA X64 when I get my new computer. Because my beloved Nero 6 won't work on Vista I'm stuck with upgrading.

this brings me to Nero 9. and the trouble I am having.

Not only is Nero 9 bloated, but it hijacks all of my system's file associations, even when I change them back, they still show the nero file type. an example would be that a .mp3 becomes Neromp3 (or some junk) Icon's change, and i can't find a way to revert them.

I have tried not installing things, but unlike previous versions, I have not come across any screen that will allow me to select what file types I'd like to change. and what i want to stay the same.

sometimes i can change the icons, but the file type remains the same... it i frustrating. and when nero auto updates ( even after i turn the auto update off) everything goes back to nero's default

is there a way to correct this? I have run out of ideas..

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If you right click an mp3 file then choose Open With > Choose Default Program and choose Windows Media Player and tick the Always use selected program to open this kind of file and click Ok the file association should be back to WMP and the default mp3 icon

Do this with other files that have changed association.

3. Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix Private E-2

that's just the problem. Some files will not return to their original associations, even after The icon, and what is opens with are changed. a good example is the unknown file association. The icon changes and the association turns to image drive.

photo files turn into nero extensions and the file name stays as a nero extension.

i stated this before. Then when nero updates everything that was changed reverts back to nero's original install default. and i have disabled the update.

there has to he a way to not only restore the cosmetic issue but also the underlying association itself, and not have to deal with the update hassle I wish i could explain it better.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds