Restore Internet Explorer? Help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by spurty, Jun 23, 2004.

1. spurty

spurty Private E-2

I want to "restore" Internet Explorer back to normal.

I've tried just running the IE 6 installer from the Microsoft site. Says I have a "newer" version and won't continue.

Tried removing Internet Explorer with XPLite then re-installing using the installer. No go.

My friend said he's heard of something that will restore Internet Explorer back to normal.

The whole reason I want to do this is I keep having trouble with this one company claiming my homepage.

I've run:
    SpyBot
    Adaware
    CWShredder (deletes it but it comes back, and yes I've tried their instructions to remove it to no avail)
    Registry First Aid
    System Mechanic 2004
    Scan Spyware
    BHODemon

I may just remove IE and start using Mozilla Firefox or something.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Well, you should never *remove* IE wholly except to reinstall it immediately therafter. IE is an integral part of Windows.

Here's the Microsoft way.

The easiest/least destructive way is to do the following:
    1. Open RegEdit
    2. Find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}".
    3. Find the Value "IsInstalled".
    4. Change the value from "1" to "0" (Hex).

Windows now thinks that IE is uninstalled, and will not complain when you run IE setup.

For added simplicity, I've attached a registry file that will make the change for you. Simply unzip it and double-click it.

Attached Files:

3. ojdidit

ojdidit Private First Class

Is it possible that Spurty is trying to go back to an earlier IE? My win98SE came with IE5. I downloaded IE6 but can go back to IE5 by going to the control panel/ add remove programs and reset to the earlier IE.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

No, we dont just run willy nilly and post our log files. They can list a lot of thousands of programs, some we wont recognize. Rather read the Hijack This tutorial:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35407

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds