Restore start menu shortcuts

Discussion in 'Software' started by mbmadiw, Jun 23, 2011.

1. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

I had some nasty malware on my computer. Thanks to programs recommended by the great experts on this site, my computer has a clean bill of health now.

One little bugger managed to hide all of my program files, making all folders appear empty. I resolved that situation with attrib -h /s /d at the command prompt, but I still have one little problem. When clicking on Programs in the Start Menu, all of the programs are listed, BUT there are no shortcuts within those folders. Example: Microsoft Office is listed, but when hovering over it, I only get (Empty). I've looked in Windows Explorer and see that the program files are all where they're supposed to be and are visible. It's like that for every program in the list.

It'd be nice not to have to restore each shortcut individually for every single program, so I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me to restore those with a command, if it's possible. Thank you!!!

FYI: Windows XP Pro

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

3. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Try this for the problem you described.

Please download and save the below to your Desktop or anywhere else you can find it ( if the Desktop is not showing )

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe

Now run it. Did that help?

Who gave you the clean bill of health? I cannot see where you went through our malware removal procedures. I suggest you do, there could be malware remaining. READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

4. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

5. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. Thanks for the suggestion.

I followed the malware removal procedures, but did not create a thread because I lost my Internet access due to storms in my area. Fortunately, I was able to update and run all the programs before that happened. I consulted an expert I know personally to review the logs.

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, mbmadiw.

Seems like I remember a similar problem in the past, and we were able to solve it by running a System File Check (SFC) - worth a shot.

Also, when possible, I suggest running those logs by the folks in the Malware Forum - you never know when a different perspective can notice something that others may have missed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds