Restore with Symantec Norton Ghost 2003

Discussion in 'Software' started by Atelby, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Atelby

Atelby Private E-2

I'm not sure where to post this question, but this looked like a good place. I posted the same question previously in the Programming forum, but no-one's even looked at it. :-(

I have a computer built specifically for doctors to phone in dictation on. The computer is not used for anything else.

While trying to network my laptop computer, I inadvertantly deleted a networked drive that I THOUGHT was not being used. In the process, I deleted some of my folders for the specialty software, which means the doctors cannot phone in their dictation until things are fixed. I have tried contacting the company who built the computer, but they are on EST and are closed for the day, with no 24/7 technical support. I have also tried phoning another local computer guy in my area, but he is not returning his calls since it is after hours.

I have a Symantec Norton Ghost 2003 restore disk that the company provided, but I am afraid to use it because there are so many options. I really do not want to make things worse and am hoping someone can direct me on how to use the restore disk.

When running the restore disk, I have a few different options:

Local --> Disc --> (To Disc, To Image, From Image)
    Partition --> (To Partition , To Image, From Image)

OPTIONS
    Spanning
    Auto Name
    Compatible Naming
    CRC Ignore
    Create CRC32

I THINK that the restore process would be done by using Local --> From Image, but I am not sure. I would appreciate any help or advice on getting the system back up and running, as I really need it for my business (doctors tend to get a little cranky when they can't finish their work). If you are not sure about something, please let me know when you post a suggestion for me to try. I would rather wait until technical support is open tomorrow than make things worse. If you are completely comfortable and familiar with how this software operates, then PLEASE let me know.

Thank you (if I should move this post to a more appropriate forum, please let me know.)

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Nortons ghost will only restore to last saved point. It could be a week or years ago. Just so you know, you could lose hours, weeks or even years of data if your not sure when the last image was created.

Usually you are restoring a disk (hard drive your operating system currently is on) from an image (last image of the drive saved). So, local disk from image should do it. Option in most programs like Nortons are overkill in MOST situations, so you may not need any of them.

3. Atelby

Atelby Private E-2

Thank you so much for responding to my post. I have already lost all of my stored dictation, the voice prompts, and some of the software settings, so I really don't have much to lose in that regard. The restore disc was created by the company when they shipped me the computer, so I'm sure I will have to re-set all of my personal voice prompts and doctor ID numbers. Just to make double-sure, all I need to do is put in the restore CD and choose Options, From Image (choose CD drive) and then restore to the local C:\ drive?

Again, thank you for your response. I have posted my question/problem in six different forums, and you are the first person to respond in hours.

4. Atelby

Atelby Private E-2

I used the Norton CD, but am now really stuck since I don't have the registration number to update the Windows software. Looks like I'll have to wait until the company is open and hope that I can get things fixed.

5. Atelby

Atelby Private E-2

The company made the restore CD and shipped it with the computer, which made me think that I could use the CD and restore the original software and settings. I just posted a new thread above regarding my problems since using the restore CD (sorry). After using the restore CD, the disk prompts me for a license number to upgrade to Windows 2000. The company never provided me with the license number, which means I am stuck. If I had been given a license number, I would have had the system reprogrammed last night and ready to go this morning. I've been up all night and still cannot get support from the company that sold me the computer system and specialty software. From what I was told in the past by a computer tech, the Windows 2000 license number is a basic one that everyone used to upgrade. I cannot get in touch with this tech right now, as it is not quite business hours in my area yet. Does anyone know if there is a universal upgrade license number for Windows 2000. If you could share that information, I would be eternally grateful!

6. Atelby

Atelby Private E-2

I found the license number on the side of the computer--big duh on my part!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds