Restored itself

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MEMRSCHAD, Feb 3, 2010.

1. MEMRSCHAD

MEMRSCHAD Private E-2

I was on my computer just reading something online when all of a sudden, I got kind of a blink on my puter. Later, I went into check my email in Windows Mail and there were a whole bunch of emails from last year that I had deleted! Also, all my folders that I had deleted were back. The computer seemed to have restored itself. What kind of problem is this? Software, hardware, or viral?
    Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, MEMRSCHAD...

I'd be willing to bet the farm that this isn't a hardware issue...

A little more info might be helpful: what OS and Service Pack #, any installed backup software, any programs that may run backup routines...

Couple of suggestions: you might try disabling System Restore, rebooting, then enabling System Restore, which will flush any old restore points...you might also consider doing a good antispyware/antivirus scan...

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Or call a priest to do an exorcism? Spooky.
    Would have thought those old files would have been overwritten by now.

4. MEMRSCHAD

MEMRSCHAD Private E-2

Operating system=Visa
    Service Pack 3
    Thank you for responding=all of you.
    The first thing I did was a anti virus scan and spyware.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Are you sure?

Vista only has 2 service packs at the moment, SP1 and SP2.

Could still use the backup software information please...

6. MEMRSCHAD

MEMRSCHAD Private E-2

Sorry, you are soooo right. It is SP 2. I don't know what kind of information you are looking for RE: back up. I do a back up with an external hard drive.

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

The back up information we are looking for is the name of whatever program you use to do the backup if you use one. If you just copy the files manually then please post that instead of a name.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds