Restricting Web Access to one site

Discussion in 'Software' started by UttiniDaKilrJawa, Dec 12, 2008.

1. UttiniDaKilrJawa

UttiniDaKilrJawa Private E-2

Hi there!
    I was wondering is there a way to easily block out all but one website for one user on a multi user install of Windows XP ? Preferably without having to resort to 3rd party programs. I am currently trying to set up my mothers computer so when my sister logs in the only website she can access will be Job Service :).

Appreciate any help with this.

Thanks in advance.

UttiniDaKilrJawa

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

What browser is being used?

3. UttiniDaKilrJawa

Internet Explorer.

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings

In the proxy server section at the bottom of the window that pops up put in some bogus host.....I would suggest in the Address box you put 999.999.99.99 and in the Port you put 80.

Then click on Advanced.

In the window that pops up, in the section called Exceptions, put the www website address of the site you want your sister to be able to access.

Click OK through all the windows until they have all closed.

Test it. Try to access www.google.com You should not be able to. Try to access the one you typed in for your sister. It should open ok.

Btw - this is not an networking issue, so I am moving your thread over to the Software Forum :)

5. UttiniDaKilrJawa

Tried what you suggested with the LAN settings this morning, didnt work at all. Every time I make a change to the LAN settings/proxy server info I hit all the ok's but nothing actually changes.

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

When you go back in to the LAN settings are they still set with the bogus host, port etc as per my instructions? If not then you have missed something in setting it up.

I have tested my instructions on my XP machine step by step - works fine here. Maybe post up some screenshots of what you have done in the settings so I can check them for you?

7. UttiniDaKilrJawa

each time I go back into the LAN settings , the new information I put in is gone.

What areas do you want screenies of?

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

The screen where you type in the bogus host, and then the one after it when you click the Advanced button please.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds