retrieving information from a disk that has not been formatted without losing info

Discussion in 'Software' started by u0218437, Oct 18, 2005.

1. u0218437

u0218437 Private E-2

Hey , my sister has a probelem with her 3 and a half floppy disk, she can not gain access to her CV. The computer states that 'The disk drive A is not formatted do you want to format it now?'. However, if she formats it, she will lose all her work from the disk, and it is of real importance to her. Please can you help.

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

first, try the disk in another computer, often floppy disks are unreliable and will only read on certain drives.

if this fails, you can try to fix any errors that might be on the disk. to do this, right click on the floppy drive in My Computer, and go to properties. from there, click on the Tools tab, and under Error Checking, click Check Now. put a check next to both of the options, and run the check. this will sometimes work, but your best bet is to try another computer.

3. Bustergut

Bustergut Private E-2

Re: retrieving information from a disk that has not been formatted without losing inf

1. Try another PC.
    2. Use Norton utilities to sort it out.
    3. Else, put disk in drive, open my computer, right click on floppy, select tools, properties and check now and then defrag if it lets you.

Norton usually works though unless the FAT is corrupt.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds