Revolving windows setup/BSOD

Discussion in 'Software' started by Onesize, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Onesize

Onesize Private E-2

Hi. I've had a problem with a Toshiba laptop running XP. It started with Windows not loading. Had the loading screen for ages, then a black screen, then BSOD for a few seconds only. Just enough time for me to read STOP 21A Fatal Error, and an x26c error. After looking at various sites I eventually tried to repair windows from an XP disc from a previous build. This stuck at installation and now when loading from HD the laptop keeps trying to continue the windows setup. Now I've tried BartPE and I know I can save my files. But what can I do or delete to stop the machine from trying to continue with the windows setup? Is there anything I can plugin to BartPE to help this?

Simon

2. Onesize

Onesize Private E-2

OK. I've done a better search of the forum and found what I hoped would be useful to stop windows trying to set up. I looked in the boot.ini using notepad after booting with BartPE. I was looking for a line that I could delete that had 'setup' mentioned anywhere. Instead this is all it has

[boot loader]
    timeout=1
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows=""
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)patition(1)\windows="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Can anyone give advice on what I can do to stop the windows setup?
    Si

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Self-delete.

Misread the boot.ini. The line multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="" can be deleted but it will not solve your problem. I would delete it anyway to avoid confusion.

4. Onesize

Onesize Private E-2

Thanks I'll try that but like you say it might not help much. I've found the winnt32 file in c:\. And the product key is under the machine. I suspect I screwed up trying to use a different winXP disc and not the winnt32. Would it help if I post the error file I get when the install stops.

If I run winn32 will this give me the option to repair windows or only to reinstall. Once I've sorted this I can then move on to the BSOD that I started with.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm not familiar with the winnt32 file. I see it is a installation setup file but am not sure what you are trying to do with it.

Go ahead and remove that line from the boot.ini, restart with no disc in the tray and post back any error you get.

If you are reading any particular thread about stopping the Windows installation from restarting or using the winnt32 file, post a link and I will read them to see if it helps explain what is going on.

6. Onesize

Onesize Private E-2

I deleted the line you suggested but no change. It still boots into the windows setup and stops with 39minutes to go. This is the error message I get called setuperr.log. Have to type it all out as I couldn't get the problem laptop to recognise my usb stick.

Error:
    Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\netman.dll because of the following error:
    LoadLibrary returned error 123 (7b).

Error:
    Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\netshell.dll because of the following error:
    LoadLibrary returned error 123 (7b).

Fatal Error:
    Setup was unable to initialize network installation components.
    The specific error code is 2.

Fatal Error:
    One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

The operation was cancelled by the user.

Several of these lines are repeated, possibly because of the times I've tried repeating the process. The threads I've recently tried to make use of are

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=204611&highlight=windows+setup+problems

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=207128&highlight=windows+setup+problems

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds