ridiculous memory usage

Discussion in 'Software' started by splitt3r, May 10, 2007.

1. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

lately I have been having problems with system memory. I have 2gb of RAM and sometimes when i come home from school 1.8GB is being used, so much that I can't even open firefox without restarting. when the computer first boots it is only using about 400mb of RAM.. after letting it sit for 6 hours, around 1.5gb. I tried the utility FreeRAMXPpro, and while it helps, it still doesn't fix the problem entirely. The task manager says that no program is every using more than around 40mb(unless I am running a game) the only apps I usually leave running are Zone alarm, yahoo widget engine, AVG free, itunes, Xfire, and MSN messenger. I have run scans with spybot, AVG, and AD-aware and I have found nothing more than a few tracking cookies. This problem started just a couple weeks ago. I was using a new powersupply that was causing all kinds of problems(BSOD, random crashed, wouldn't boot, etc) Replacing the power supply fixed all those problems but the memory usage is STILL a problem.

2. splitt3r

I don't have IE tab or google toolbar, and I have these problems even when firefox is not running. firefox usually only uses about 120mb.

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

same thing happened to me recently! i discovered that somehow AVG free started running system scans daily with no notice. I just cancel the scan whenever it starts up

4. splitt3r

cool, I will try turning that off and see if that fixes the problem.

5. splitt3r

That didn't fix it, my computer was using 1.4gb when I woke up this morning:(

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Go to task manager, then processes, then select VIEW, then Select Columns.

Now, check the following boxes...Virtual Memory Size, Peak Mem Usage, Paged pool, and non paged pool.

Check to see if anything is taking a bit of your VM size.

Also, do you have a page file, or did you turn it off?

7. wes1111

wes1111 Private E-2

Turn Off Windows Auto Update

My computer has CPU usage at 100% and scvhost is whats doing it. I turned off windows auto updater and that helps Alot.

8. splitt3r

I do have a page file. My VM size seems fine, the apps that use the most (firefox and steam) never use more than around 100mb, and I have 2gb of physical memory and 1.5gb of VM so this shouldn't be a problem. This is what is confusing me, the taskmanager doesn't show anything using a lot of RAM, but it does say a lot is used up. If I leave my computer on for 12 hours it becomes so unresponsive that I can't even open the task manager... and this is with firefox and MSN messenger OFF.

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Can I suggest that you try Process Explorer.(PE)

Process Explorer. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4566

10. splitt3r

11. splitt3r

Here is a screenshot of proceXP right after a reboot.

[​IMG]

12. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

"the only apps I usually leave running are Zone alarm, yahoo widget engine, AVG free, itunes, Xfire, and MSN messenger."
    I would suspect one of the above mentioned programs, (ZA and AVG in particular) or a problem with your memory modules, the site has quite a few free applications to test your RAM under Memory, and Microsoft has one for WIndows machines as well. You have two 1GB PC3200 memory modules installed? I can't fathom why but I would also suspect your PCI Express video card. I'm afraid I can't be of much help except to say check the RAM, check the Video card settings and or eliminate programs until you find the culprit.
    If at first you don't succeed, drop back and punt...
    Bug

13. splitt3r

my video card could be a problem? I didn't think that would have anything to do with it, especially since it has 256mb of onboard VRAM. My RAM is 2x256mb, 1x 512mb, and 1x1gb. I suppose the power supply could have damaged my RAM, but I ran memtest and it didn't find any errors. what is weird is the fact that it doesn't show anything using that much in the task manager, not even in process explorer.

14. bigbazza

I know this won't help, but I also have 2 gigs of RAM, and have 128 megs in my graphics card.

FreeRam XP Pro says I have 1.6 megs of Free Ram, (so only using 400 megs) and Process Explorer tells me I have 73 processes running. (yes I know, but I use them all.:D).
    I am at a loss to expain why your system is running the way it is. Sorry. :cry :( Bazza

One further thought.

How do you have your RAM chips installed?
    I think 1 gig in #1, 512 in #2 and 256 megs in #3 and #4 slots would be the way to go.

Have you tried swopping them around?
    Have you tried running your PC with 2 x 256 only, 1 x 512 only, 1 x 1 gig only, 1 by 1.5 gigs, etc.

Might turn up something. ;) Baz

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  15. splitt3r

yeah, i can usually solve computer problems myself but this just makes no sense. It has to be some kind of malware that isn't showing up in my processes... Or maybe it is a problem with windows, I had to run an SFC the other day because my computer crashed and I had to shut it down manually, maybe windows was updating and a file got damaged or something.

16. bigbazza

Keep us informed on how you go. :)
    It all helps our knowledge in combatting Windows quirks. :p ;) Bazza

17. splitt3r

I still haven't gotten any closer to solving the problem :( anyone else have any ideas?

18. bigbazza

Maybe run PE again, and click on Company name, and sort from a-z.
    Post the shot with all processes running.

It might help us concentrate on the various company's programs and ask further questions.

Bazza

===

19. splitt3r

ahhh, I guess I can do that, I will have to ****ing restart before I can play C&C again though, stupid copy protection.

edit: here you go
    [​IMG]

20. Dublin PC Services

Dublin PC Services Private E-2

That's caused by a memory leak.
    Which means, some piece of software running on your machine was written by a lousy coder.
    Find that software, uninstall, and the problem goes away.

21. splitt3r

yeah, but the task manager(as well as process explorer) doesn't report that anything is using a lot of RAM, so how do I isolate the problem? I have 43 processes running, it would be hard to narrow it down.

22. bigbazza

Try these 2.:major

23. splitt3r

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds