Ripping an audio file from an .avi

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dalius, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Dalius

Dalius Private E-2

Hi al,,

I haven't really posted her in a while, but I need to ask a question.I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but there is no other forum on the board for this stuff so I guess I'll ask her.

I have an .avi file of a movie. I want to rip the audio from it, to an audio file (perferably an .mp3) Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks in Advanced!

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

It's fairly intricate, but not entirely too complicated. I don't remember it that well anymore, though. Basically, you need to find an "AVI Unwrapper". Thet will convert the movie into two files: an audio stream and a video stream. Then you'd need to use a sound editor to crop the sound down, and you might need a converter to change the audio type.

Try VCD Help. They have lots of tutorials.

3. Dalius

Dalius Private E-2

Thanks for the replies! I ended up using 'da chicken's site, and it helped me! It took about an hour to rip it, but it finally worked! :D

4. Dalius

Dalius Private E-2

Another question:

Now I have the .wav (mp3 encoded), but I want to cut only one part of it out. Anyone know how to do this also? ;)

Thanks in Advanced!

5. Aurelius

Aurelius Private First Class

First you must decode it to .wav, then use a program like GoldWave for editting, and finally save the new wav under a new name.

6. Dalius

Dalius Private E-2

I did it, thanks!

7. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

There are some apps that can directly edit .mp3 audio streams, too. Cool Edit comes to mind.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds