Riva Tuner not supported in 263.09

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Howmanator, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

Just switched back to EVGA from an ati card but riva tuner won't allow me to configure a profile to adjust fan speeds. Is this a problem with the 263.09 drivers?

2. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

Sorry guys, this would've been more appropriate for the drivers section.

Can it be moved?

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    I cannot confirm your question, but you might want to take a look at EVGA Precision. It might suit your needs better than Riva Tuner.

4. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

Thanks tgell, I finally dl'd the precision tool. I went for RT because it allowed me to set how the card would adjust fan speed according to temps. I was really concerned because I went with the gtx580 and the problems with the 480 overheating were in my mind.

To my surprise the 580 does an excellent job of cooling without fan re-configuration and the precision tool proved it. Divinity ii, Far Cry 2, FONV, Mass Effect 2 (haven't run Crysis yet) all at highest settings and precisions osd never went above 72c, great cooling and a very good monitoring tool.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Give RT a few days and I'm sure they'll catch up. Hang on there, nVidia is only up to 260.99, are these beta drivers? If so, there's your answer.

Glad you like the 580! My 470 is like your 480, hot hot hot!

EDIT: Oops 263.xx for 580's

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  6. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

Hey augiedoggie, I'll be on the lookout for an RT update, also the 263.09 driver is WHQL and it didn't list them as beta. I must confess, I like going under the hood so RT is as much fun to tinker with as it is vital as a cooling solution, thanks for the heads-up.

7. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

As an update; I ran Crysis with an "extreme graphics" mod (ultra high settings) and still the temps were hovering around 74c to 76c which I think, for all the rendering, is rather cool. I'm even more anxious to see how much lower RT will push the temps with custom settings:-D

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Heck man, with temps like that I wouldn't bother. :cool If you'd like, MSI's Afterburner has an option where you can state fan speeds for preset temps to lower them further. How loud is fan at %100? My eVGA 470 is very loud.

9. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

Hey augiedoggie, I'll check out Afterburner. One of the good things nvidia has done (amongst others) is to dampen fan noise...reviewers were spot on when describing how much quieter the 580 is compared to some of the 4xx cards.

I ran crysis and precision records that when fps dropped from 54 to 37 the card was only reaching 98% usage, 74c and just 56% fan speed. My case fans are louder at 50%.

Did I say wow? Forgive my excitement but this is the first gpu I've owned that actually lives up to the hype.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds