Rmvb converter to avi?? what do i do? Help!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by gabriela1982, Oct 18, 2008.

1. gabriela1982

gabriela1982 Private E-2

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help me. I downloaded a movie and when i did, there was not info that the file was rmvb. The thing is that i need it to be avi so that i can burn it and i tried to download some programs but they didn't work or some others needed to be registered. Do you know any file converter to do it for free? to convert from RMVB to AVI? or at least to know some converter with the keys already??
    I'd really appreciate your help. :)

Thanks

Gaby:wave

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

WinAVI is also not free, but if the Real codec is installed, it will convert RM/RMVB to DVD. For freeware, maybe Quick Media Converter and possibly DVD Flick. Here's a guide that may help for an app called EO Video Converter: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic212204.html Before doing anything, be sure to install Real Alternative Lite in addition to a good full codec pack. I've used all of the above (except the guide I linked to) at one point or another (but not necessarily for RMVB), so I know they're effective and free. You might also try Media Coder and SUPER. If using DVDFlick, be sure to read this How-To Guide.

:-D Good luck! I hope this helps! :major

EDIT- I did some quick research; RM & RMVB can be converted by both MediaCoder and SUPER according to their respective web sites. DVD Flick will convert RealMedia v1.0/2.0 to DVD, but not RM3.0. You MUST have the Real codec installed for any of these to work correctly; use the link I provided above for Real Alternative Lite. Trust me, you do not want to install Real Player in any shape, form, or kind. It is evil.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I forgot to include the link to WinAVI http://www.winavi.com/en/video-converter/video-converter.htm I have used it on RMVB files in the past, so I know it will convert 'em to DVD format. It's sick fast for converting videos, and in my opinion, was well worth the $20 or $30 I spent on it. It is one of the few pieces of software that I've paid for and didn't feel like I got robbed.

5. gabriela1982

gabriela1982 Private E-2

Thank you!! you are a great help!! thanks a lot :)

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Actually dlb, I have the UK RealPlayer installed and it isn't bad. Apparently the BBC persuaded Real to create a player especially for them without all the "goodies" (aka crap) Real throws in.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah plodr, I've heard that about the UK BBC version of Real Player, that it doesn't have the evil components that the other releases have....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds