Router and paths

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by comperroruter, Dec 1, 2005.

1. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

O.k. I spent an ungodly amount of time looking for thread in relation to my question and came up empty.

Firstly, I would like to know if it is possible to make my connection run through specific servers? I tracert Mg and I went through 18 paths before timing out.

Secondly, is it necessary to have the drivers for my in-rig modem since I am using a cable modem?

I wanted to add about connection issues with KoL but it dawned on me (yes I occasionally remember things I read here:)) that their site is probably being slammed at turn over (11pm or so) and that is the reason I have trouble connecting.

I would like to know why their address varies from www. to www2. to www3. ?
    Thanks for any info.!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

1. Not that I'm aware of.
    2. Not if your using a cable modem, all you need are its drivers/software... it makes your DUN modem redundant, I removed mine from the motherboard ages ago.
    3. The change od address to www www2 www3 is they are different server addresses, saves one server being hammered.

3. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Ahhh, more knowledge for the sponge. Thank you kindly!

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

*ping* the sound of the lightbulb coming on! ;)

Just as a caveat to what I posted on the DUN modem, it maybe worth if your ISP has this setup ( some do some dont ), some ISPs allow you when the DSL/Cable service goes down to connect through DUN, also if you use the FAX capability of the modem then its again worth keeping in.... if you dont have either of the above then, I cannot see the point in having redundent hardware/drivers installed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds