Router configuration cable pin outs???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kingtrendz, May 15, 2004.

1. kingtrendz

kingtrendz Private E-2

Hi guys....

I have been trying to connect the console port of the router to the 9 pin RS232 port of my PC. Could any of you help in getting the pin diagram so that I can make the connecting cable......

Regrads....

KingTrendz

2. djlowe

djlowe Private First Class

Hi,

You don't mention the router model, so it's tough to be sure. Some serial interfaces on routers are wired as DCE (Data Carrier Equipment), and others are wired as DTE (Data Terminal Equipment). In theory, connecting the serial port on a PC (which is a DTE device) to a DCE serial interface on a router would only require a straight-through cable, as the ports themselves are wired so that the transmit, receive and handshaking signals communicate on the correct pins (e.g. Pin 3 on a DTE port is transmit, and pin 3 on a DCE device is receive).

But, if the serial port on the router is DTE, then you need a null modem cable to swap the signals to the appropriate pins, since the port on the PC is DTE, too.

A standard 9-pin null modem cable pinout is:

1+6 to 4
    2 to 3
    3 to 2
    4 to 1+6
    5 to 5
    7 to 8
    8 to 7

That would permit a DTE device to talk to another DTE device.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

dj

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds