router disconnects while streaming video: only reset helps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ssD_999, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ssD_999

ssD_999 Private E-2

I thought looking at packets would help because the only thing that gets my connection back is resetting the back of the router (Netgear rp614v2 wired) which then sends this ARP request to ask "who has ip 192.168.0.2 tell the gateway 192.168.0.1" and then it looks like the Realtek adapter gives out it's MAC address back to the router. This is what I see when I reset the back of the modem but I guess that might not matter since I can't really tell what's happening when it stops. Looking at packets when video is streaming like youtube, shows TCP UDP and ACKs but when the connection stops, normally in the middle of a youtube videe, there are just packets going, but nothing hitting the PC. Meanwhile the video just hangs and even after reset will not continue playing, I have to go back to homepage first.

Symptom: Internet disconnects when watching streaming video. Normally connection will only last 5-20 minutes but sometimes an hour.
    Fix: Reset back of router. Cycling modem and router will usually throw a DHCPNACK message in Event viewer, saying that the gateway denied the PC ip. This will normally disconnect within an hour.
    Provider: Charter Comm (they will not help with this router)
    Attempts to fix: Made sure firmware is up to date, reset Netstack on pc with NETSH command (?), reset router multiple times to factory.
    Verified the router is approved--- it was working 4 weeks ago fine on AT & T DSL service. There is no signal loss on the modem or the router.
    I also made sure MTU was ok in the router. 1500
    Win XP Sp 3, Firefox 3.05, Core 2 duo
    Modem: Motorola Surfboard.

Any ideas appreciated.

2. dr_zero

dr_zero Private E-2

i just bought a netgear WGT624 wireless router and am having the same problem. i've tried lots of things (changing channels, updating firmware, trying different dns servers, static ips, with and without WAP passwords). still getting the same disconnects when watching streaming media (usually hockey or football games which are typcially vcast, justinTV, type stuff).

i haven't found a solution yet. it's frustrating. i have an old belkin access point and i think i'm going to eventually hardwire that to the netgear and just connect wirelessly to the belkin. but that defeats the purpose of buying the netgear, because i'll just be using it as a router and it's one more thing to plug in.

if you've found any solutions please post. i'll do likewise.

take it easy

3. ssD_999

ssD_999 Private E-2

I never really figured it out but replaced it with a newer router and haven't had any issues. I did get 4 years out of it so not too bad.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds