Router in Bridge vs Routing Mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by auntpat, Dec 12, 2014.

1. auntpat

auntpat Private E-2

I just had a discussion with my ISP and was told the slow performance was due to my router having been reset to 'bridging mode' and intead of 'routing' it is allowing all connected devices equal access to the internet at the same time. Speedtest shows download speed at 5.45 mbps, which should be sufficient to run movies, but I'm getting about 30 seconds of play followed by 30 seconds of buffering ad nausium. No one has messed with the router in years, but I want to check it out. I know how to access the setup using my browser, but I don't know what settings to look for or what they should be set at. I have a Linksys WRT54G52 router. Can some kind soul please help so that housebound hubby can watch the NFL network? Thanks in advance.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I don't see a model WRT54G52 on the Linksys site.
    I was going to download the manual and have a look.

I own a WRT54G model.
    If you look at step 7 here http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.a...&pid=80&respid=0&snid=2&dispid=0&cpage=search
    you will see the bridge mode option.
    On my router, I click on settings tab, and in Basic Setup, the first item is similar to that. (I do not have a bridge mode option showing in my dropdown menu).

Here are more pictures with the classic firmware
    http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.a...&pid=80&respid=0&snid=2&dispid=0&cpage=search
    mine looks more like this.

3. auntpat

auntpat Private E-2

Like yours, my router does not have the bridge mode option. Under Internet Setup, it is set to Automatic Configuration - DHCP. I have a very strong suspicion that I'm being fed BS by the ISP person, but I would like to be sure before I call them back.

Thanks for your help.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Usually you put the ISP modem/router in bridge mode if you want to use your own router. Which apparently you have, using a WRT54G. Here are some screenshots. If the connection type is DHCP in the first screen, you're likely not in bridge mode. Second under status if the IP is in the 192.168.x.x range, your not in bridge mode. If your not in bridge mode then you're double NATing, which could case some issues.

Attached Files:

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Mine's been on that setting since June 2004; it is not bridged mode. Hopefully you will get a different "support" person at your ISP.

Go here : http://www.speedtest.net/
    click the Begin Test button and save the results so you have some numbers to throw at the support person to back up your claim that the speed is poor.
    Do it several times over the next few days.

My download is 18.22Mbps and this is on a Saturday night.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds