Router Installation blocked by Norton Interner Security

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dwilliams1958, Sep 4, 2005.

1. dwilliams1958

dwilliams1958 Private E-2

I have a new Dell 9100 with XP and it came with Norton Internet Security. I have tried to install a wireless Linksys router, but Norton blocker the installation. In NIS logs I saw IP 192.168.1.1 was blocked. I have now put 192.168.1.1 in the Trusted Zone. Does anyone know if this will work and do I need to do something else? I would like to know before I go buy the router again. Thanks for any help.

dwilliams1958

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

On regular Home Network, the Firewall meant to protect you from the Internet.

You have to put the whole range of the local IP in trusted Zone otherwise you apply the Firewall to you own Network: http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted

:cool:

3. dwilliams1958

At the present time I have one computer and I wish to use the router's firewall as extra protection. On occasion my son will bring his laptop to our house so he can work here. 192.168.1.1 is the router IP and Norton Blocked it. From what you wrote I will also need to put the IP address of his computer in the trusted zone also.

Thanks for your help.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Once you put a computer's IP in the trusted Zone, the Firewall does not affect it any more as far as Local traffic is concerned.

You can put a range in the Trusted Zone, like 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255, doing so will ensure that any computer that would be added to this Network will always be in trusted zone.

:cool:

5. dwilliams1958

Thanks again. I will get the router and try again.

dw

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds