router "local access only

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by waterboy2, Jul 15, 2012.

1. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

When i connect try to connect to my router, everything connects fine but access is listed as local only on a vista laptop and all webpages fail to load.
    So i have no problem connecting to the router wirelessly but once connected have no internet.

When i connect with a with an ethernet cable directly from the modem to any pc/laptop the internet works fine, so the modem seems fine.

this just started happening when i had to move modum disconnected wires then reconnected it, everything used to connect and get internet no problem but now for some reason i cant figure out i just get local access only ect.[/QUOTE]

also i have sone ethernet cables differnt colors red yellow can i try these cables will i hurt anything to check if the are good. i they are wired diffrently can i hurt modem router computer
    thanks so much for your help

2. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

This sounds like your router may not be getting an ip address from your modem, have you tried looking at your router's web interface to see if it was assigned a public ip address?

We can rule out an ISP issue if you can connect directly.
    I assume your not getting internet on any computer on the network, is that correct?

Check your cables to make sure everything is connected 100%.
    Have you tried turning off both the modem and router and then after a minute or so turn the modem back on and wait for it to full boot, then turn on the router?

I'm not an expert on the wiring of the cables but typically if the wiring is not correct it just doesn't allow the computer to communicate to the network.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds