router problem or something else?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by christopherjellybean, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Ok I'm not to sure about which it is, I have bellsouth dsl extreme net with a versalink 327 wireless router. i have two desktops running wireless and one laptop ( not all at the same time). The problem I'm having is when i try to get on the internet with the laptop or this computer it sometimes pulls up the homepage up instantly other times it takes 10-30 seconds.Then sometimes it will run fine for two or three pages then SKREECH! nothing (Page cannot be found??) I cant see this comp being so slow ( 3.0 ht cpu 1.5g mem the laptop is a 2.4 cpu with 1g mem) One comp for my kids is running ME with a 500 cpu??? and is faster at pulling up the pages?!?!! Oh i have a total of 4 comp using the router. Still never all at once. is there something i can tweak in the router or maybe with windows? And the laptop works fine at other WIFI spots in town which leads me to think it's either the router or this computer settings?? sorry this is so long!! I've asked other places and got NO answers at all! Thanks for any and all help!!

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Are all the machines located in the same general area? Could signal strength be an issue?

-Jim

3. Well they are all in the same house. One that is running windows ME is no farther than this one and it runs as fast if not faster .:confused: and it only has a 500 mhz cpu and 512 mem! the laptop and this one are the only ones having this problem. when i do a speed test for the dsl from bellsouth , they all show the same speed of upload/download rate.:confused:...Is there any sites or programs to help with tweaking a router setting...that is easy to understand....for dummies! :D

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

6. I'll give that a shot..... i know i can change some stuff like channels and firewalls.The router firewall was at med? and when i diabled it for a min the net ran like a scalded dog!! CLICK CLICK CLICK and each page popped instantly.....for a while. Then back to go...slow...stop..... page cannot be found???

7. TimW

Check your ie settings ...see if they have changed ...but, your router settings may be where it's at.:) :)

8. I tried the iefix program and it said to reinstall some files from my Xp disk. Di ti sofar so good, and i also moved my USB wireless "card" to get an "excellent" signal...was good to very good before..maybe that helpped too. How about under the Tools tab, when you go to setting then "disk space to use", what should that be set at? I read somewhere long ago to set it somewhat small ? any truth to that? Thanks for the fast replys!!!! u guys work night too and off for the weekend? HA HA

9. And i tried what site you gave out cat5e, not really able to understand evertything......yet. But i'm gonna go over it till i do! i'm up all night and have nothing else to do....:(

10. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Are you sure that the slow machines are clean of Spyware and Adware? You may not have a hardware or network issue at all.....it simply may be clogged with spyware.

Is you anti virus up to date?

-Jim

11. yeah...i done a Avg scan - spybot-PCCillin- adaware se and windows live scanner and about a dozen :rolleyes: other online scans from macaffe anf trend micro and nothing comes up.I guess i'll live with it..:mad: but maybe i'll figure out something eventually. Oh and everything is up to date and current versions are instaled. it's probaly something simple that i've overlooked and everyone thinks that even a idiot wouldn't miss that! :eek: Hey ...it's happened to me before:) . Thanks for all ya'lls help thus far!!!

12. TimW

Question ....are the slow ones in a workgroup ...home or office? Domain?

13. I have them all in a home network.And this was happening before i did that. I'm really stumped too....?

14. TimW

Don't know if this will apply ....check it out ...see if it pertains ...back=up first:
    1. click on Internet Explorer
    2. go to to your root dir (usually C:)
    3. open Documents and Settings folder
    4. open "your username folder"
    5. open UserData
    6. **close IE if you have it open**
    rename index.dat to index.old
    logoff and log back on (don't need to restart)

open up IE and go to a web page or site that always seemed to load slowly. It should load a lot more quickly now.

NOTE. Always rename or backup .dat or other system files before deleting.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds