router question..please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poconomike, Sep 26, 2005.

1. poconomike

poconomike Private E-2

Hi All:

I currently have a cable modem connection and one pc in my home. Im going to have to change the physical location of my pc within my home in the near future. Of course, the new location does not have a cable jack anywhere within that room. (Just my luck as every single room in the house, but that one, does..)..Anyway, my cable company wants a decent amount of money to run a wire to that room. My question is, can a wireless router help me here. Can I leave my cable modem where it is, buy a wireless router and move my pc anywhere within my home? or do i need an actual pc right near the modem..

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

There's no reason that you shouldn't be able to do that, so long as your computer has a wireless NIC.

Although, it usually isn't hard to run wire. Ethernet cable to a wired router shouldn't be hard, nor running your own coax. Google has many tutorials, I'm sure.

You do have options.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds