router woes/ lag spikes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by enemy1, Aug 22, 2008.

1. enemy1

enemy1 Private E-2

i havent played enemy territory forever and i dunno if and when i will get a new rig so i decided to try playing on my not fried computer. It is updated to vista sp1. Using a linksys router, and a netgear wireless adapter which are both on most of the day. Linksys always keeps cool but the adapter can get quite warm at times to the extent that i unplug it to let it cool.
    it gets its signal from a router but the connection is constantly jumpy, it would lag and then go back to normal repeatly when i tried to play. always at random to. i would have a couple seconds to a few minutes before a spike.
    Im currently getting cable internet(comcast). Has been an isssue ever since i got this computer but never bothered me since i dont really play games on it.

no expert at internet connection/packets and such. sorry.

if you need more info just tell me what and where to find it and i will try to fill you in.

Oh and by the way, i don't have a host computer or a main one connected directly to the cable modem. Dunno if that helps.

is there anyway i can make my connection stable?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds