Routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peterr, Aug 5, 2016.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    My router is weak so I am getting another. I currently have a Comcast gateway which is a modem with a router within. I bridge the router and use my own with their modem. The gateway is necessary for the triple play b/c of the phone.
    I now have set up their router's security; WPA2 etc., until I get my new router.

Until I do get my new router would you consider their router secure?
    TY
    Peter

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Peter

Yes if you set to WPA2 and set a alpha numerical passcode of at least 15 chars then you will be fine, many bundled routers these days all conform to security standards of the retail ones, actually many bundled ones are retail varients with a ISP name on them, a fair few in the UK are Netgear ones.

peterr likes this.
  3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you, David. I do have 14 characters mixed up and do have WPA2.
    I am happy to hear this as I have some things to do and cannot get around well right now.
    I was going to get my own later for better security but you seem to think it is not necessary.
    Thanks a lot.
    Peter

4. DavidGP

Hi Peter

14 Chars mixed, great. Only had a cursory glance at the router and its options, but looks really comprehensive set of options, personally I think the bundled ones are good these days, I have a BT Smart Hub and options are great, especially to see what devices are no your network and when I know the ones attached I name them, like my nieces and sisters phones etc.

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I have your stamp of approval so I will be using the roter from the ISP. I asked a tech one day a related question and she said she cannot see my passwords to help me etc. That was reassuring.
    Have a gr 8 t weekend David.

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

How can a router be "weak"? It can't. A router either works, or doesn't.

Do you mean the WAP (wireless access point), a totally discrete (separate) but integrated device sharing the circuit board and case with the router and 4-port Ethernet switch (another integrated but discrete device) does not support the current 802.11 (wifi) protocols? Or that it's range is too limiting?

WPA2 is a wireless security protocol. It really has nothing to do with the router, just the integrated WAP.

Note that "wireless router" is a marketing term only. There technically is no such thing as a wireless router. These "gateway" devices are typically marketing terms too for a single device that integrates the router, Ethernet switch, wireless access point, and modem. 4 discrete devices that just happen to share a circuit board, case and power supply, and maybe a common menu system.

It is important to note that wireless performance depends on both ends supporting the fastest protocols, distance between the endpoints, potential sources of interference from nearby electronics, and the number and types of barriers (walls, floors and ceiling) and the contents of those barriers (wires and metal pipes) in between the endpoints. So if your wireless notebook, for example, is far away, does not support the latest protocols, or its wireless antenna is limiting your range, it may be the cause of your "weak" performance, not your Comcast gateway device.

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

My smart phones were suddenly just buffering in the room we use them in for a minute before accessing a site. This what I meant by weak.
    It was fine one day then not the next. I made no changes. So I disconnected that older router of mine and am using the isp's router in the gateway. Now the phones are snappy in that same room. There has been no noticeable difference with the laptop with changes made. The password for us2 and us5 are the same.
    I just noticed the [account/ setup/Wi-Fi], for us5 is AC but it is b,g,n in the us2 older [account/ setup/Wi-Fi], for the laptop which does not recognize the SSID us5.
    Is the laptop using us5 or us2; I ask b/c although it does not show the SSID, it may be using the newer AC. I did not want to turn us2 off in case I made an error.

8. DavidGP

Security and WPA2 use AES over TKIP if possible as the AES security route will aid throughput of data better than TKIP, maybe negligible but something,

9. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I am showing you what my Comcast router has for options;

WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) This seems adequate, correct
    I have to find a thread about photos if you care to join.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds