ROXIO_USBDAPP icon in system tray

Discussion in 'Software' started by damres, Apr 17, 2011.

1. damres

damres Private E-2

Hey, I noticed an icon had appeared on the system tray that wasn't there before even though I hadn't downloaded any program. Nothing happens when I left or right click it. The icon looks like a cd with a little white thing on top. When I keep the mouse pointer above it the name appears as "ROXIO_USBDAPP"
    Ive tried deleting it using the program files folder and looking for it in control panel but I cant find anything in either. scanning and 'fixing problems' with malwarebytes anti malware hasnt removed it. I can't find any good info about it anywhere else on the internet.
    If I could get some info on what it might be and how to remove it it'd be very appreciated.
    Thanks, damres

2. dabspalalabs

dabspalalabs Private E-2

Uninstall Roxio program under control panel. That should do the trick.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and Service Pack (helps when suggesting commands and areas to navigate too)?

I like you am finding nothing about this file on the internet and noting at ROXIO either, plus I have ROXIO in work and not seen this popup yet, and if you dont have any ROXIO applications ion Add/Remove then I would suspect malware and follow the below as written,

But before running the guide above and starting a new thread in the malware forum, do you have MyDVD installed? even if you dont look in msconfig (start > Run > msconfig then the Startup Tab and look for DetectorApp.exe, is it listed?)

Do you have any Sonic applications installed? as Sonic bought Roxio out many years back and still could use some of their tech in bruning apps.

also could you attach a notepad file with your startups in it from CCLeaner as it may hold some clues.

4. damres

damres Private E-2

Hey again,

I found detectorapp in the startup tab and under 'command' it was listed as being in a folder called Sonic in Program Files. I have no idea how that folder got there, I've never bought/downloaded any Sonic software. I tried deleting the whole folder but it said access was denied so I tried deleting it using Safe Mode and it worked. However when I restarted the computer I checked the startup tab again and detectorapp is still there! The icon in the system tray is gone and the sonic folder has dissapeared from Program Files but it states its still there in the startup tab. I don't know whats going on. Is it not removed?:confused

Thanks, damres.

5. damres

damres Private E-2

Hey, just posting again to let you know I used Revo Uninstaller and that seems to have done the trick. I'm not sure how reliable Revo Uninstaller is but it seems to be pretty reliable. It is not longer appearing in the start up tab for msconfig. If there anything else you think I should do could you please let me know.
    Thanks again, Damres.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds