RPC Server and video driver install problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fred_G, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Sorry about typo's, I am on my laptop. I have been having some random lockups while playing Crysis, looked around, and found I needed to use Cat 7.6 drivers. I get a CRT invalid type error in my system log at the time of the lockup. Uninstalled old drivers, I had the 7.6 drivers already, try to install, and I get a 'Setup failed to launch installation engine: The RPC server is unavailable.' I have also tried this from a CD, same thing.

I have done some Googling on this, most errors seem to be printer/network related. Any ideas? Specs: WinXP Pro SP2, DFI Lanparty DFI Ultra mobo, AMD 4200 dual core CPU, Gecube 850XT PCI e GPU, 2 gigs RAM.

No hardware or software changes recently (except for me messing with it today). Computer was doing fine except for random lockups in Crysis.

Thanks for your time.

I got it up on some older Cat drivers. I cannont update drivers. I keep on getting the RPC error. Arg.. Crysis looks like junk with these drivers, but much better than no drivers.

E

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I've had the same problem with ATI drivers in the past. It was awhile ago, but if I remember, I fixed it by uninstalling the ATI drivers, shutting down the PC, pulling the ATI card out and used on board video temporarily. Then I rebooted, allowed Windows to install the on board video drivers, rebooted again, ran a reg cleaner (CCleaner I think), installed .NET Framework 2.0 which is required by ATI's newer drivers. Then I disabled the video in the device manager and then I shut down again. I re-installed the ATI card, booted up, and installed the driver that was causing the problem, and it was fine.... I also found this link....
    http://askbobrankin.com/rpc_server_unavailable.html

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thanks for the info, but i have no onboard video.

E

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Bump. :D

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Maybe you can borrow an older PCI card from someone, or maybe visit your local used PC store and buy an 'el cheepo' used video card for like $10...

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Weird stuff, it now works properly, just updated to some newer drivers via the interweb, no problems. A couple of other odd things have cleared up also, looks like I am good to go untill I reformat in January.

Thanks.

E

7. tincann

tincann Private E-2

Hey Fred. I just found the solution to your problem (I had the same one):

I had DCOM Server process launcher service disabled. If you do, just enable it before this fix, then you can disable it again after.

1. Got Start Menu & Select Run.
    2. Type cmd.
    3. First Type This Line Then Enter:

sc config DcomLaunch start= auto
    (respect spaces)

Now Type This Line Then Enter:

sc start DcomLaunch
    (respect spaces)

And That's it!! (this service is necessary to many programs and other things in
    winzoz)

The Setup Worked Fine After That.

Hope This Works For You As Well.

:cool

8. techgu

techgu Private E-2

Its always has to be something so simple....

Thanks for posting!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds