RPC Server unavailable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lawmur, Jan 21, 2011.

1. lawmur

lawmur Private E-2

Windows XP Prof SP3
    Computer had malware which I have removed using
    CCleaner and MalwareBytes
    Removed AVG free 8
    Installed AVG free 2011 (System now appears Clean)
    User complained that he could not connect to the internet. I found that the LAN adpater was not able to gain an IP address and the error after using IPCONFIG /RENEW was RPC Server unavailable. Also found there was no sound as a sound device was not found. When the computer starts I sometimes get an error with ICS not being started and do i want to start it? Say yes and that only error goes away. Have also noticed an error on startup under
    Event Viewer\Application\Error - crypt32 (about 6 of them)
    My guess is that these are all related to the RPC Server being unavailable. The frustrating thing is that after I try to fix the problem doing various things (inc sfc /scannow) and a restart it works including the sound. Another restart and it fails again. I have not toggled System Restore and feel this may be the problem. I am using the computer now to do this post. I have given it a fixed IP address. Any suggestions?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. lawmur

lawmur Private E-2

Hi TimW. Thanks for the suggestion but I have already found and tried Bob's suggestion. The result was the same as before. It works after the fix but then the same error comes back again. I think I am going to have to try turning off System restore, run sfc /scannow, and then turn System restore back on again. What do you think? Worth a try?

I have also toyed with the idea of uninstalling SP3 and then reinstalling it. The idea being that SP3 would update a lot of system files anyway. Any ideas on that one?

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I love fixes like that I appreciate how he figured it out. I think I've done this before. I recall wanting to kiss that guy!

All those hours and just two lines saved me.

5. lawmur

lawmur Private E-2

So I decided to try some things and here is what I did.
    1. Turned off System restore
    2. Turned off AVG Resident Scanner
    3. Ran sfc /scannow
    4. removed the fixed Ip Address and restarted
    5. No Chnage
    6. Removed Netgear Wireless Software/driver
    7. restarted and it worked
    I have shut down now and will start up again tomorrow and see if the fix holds. Will let you know the outcome.

6. lawmur

lawmur Private E-2

Ok so I couldn't wait until tomorrow. I turned the computer back on the problem still exists. System restore is still turned off. Looks like I will have to try a repair of windows. Does any one have any better ideas?

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

8. lawmur

lawmur Private E-2

Thank you for the Black Viper suggestion. I checked it out and tried the restoration of the services default settings in the registry. That did not work. Reviewing the forums seems to confirm my suspicion that only a windows repair will work. So, I guess that is the next step. I will post back here the results.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds