Run PC threw HDTV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Break_Da, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

How would I know if my HDTV will work with my computer? Or vice versa?

What are things to look for to have the computer screen be the HDTV?

Any other considerations to know? Things to look for?

Thanks,
    Robert

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

RTFM! That is, look in your TV owner's manual. If it supports a computer input, it will tell you. This generally means the TV must have a DVI, HDMI, or D-Sub input connector, and the TV's menu system will allow you to select that input source.

I don't know what you mean by vice versa.

3. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

How would I know if the graphic card would work? RT*M? lol, it's an early agp card, nvidia geforce4 mx4000 128mb, suppose the card is to ancient?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Tech spec for that card http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/geforce4mx.html

• Integrated TV Encoder Supporting 1024x768 Resolution
    • Provides best-in-class TV-out functionality.

Look at the back of the card and if your TV has S-Video connection then you can connect to that, sadly wont be HD Quality as the card is not HD.

You maybe able if the TV allows go from the VGA connection to a VGA connection on the TV, or from VGA to SCART.

Find out what Connections are on your TV and what is the exact make of the card, like EVGA, SPARKLE, etc

5. Digerati

Yes! What a concept, huh? And surprise, it applies to your graphics card too.

If your TV supports PC input, the manual will tell you which connector to use. Your card will have one or more of the connectors I mentioned - or considering its age, if it supports "TV out" it might have an S-Video output. Whatever your card has, your TV must have one too. If your card only has D-Sub (the old standard "VGA" connector) you may be out of luck if your TV only supports digital inputs, as D-Sub is analog.

6. Digerati

Beat by 1 minute!

Note that SCART is not available in North America, and perhaps other parts of the world.

7. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

ok,

went to a quad core amd phenom 2.x ghz, modest 2 gb ram... then XFX Radeon HD 5670 Video Card - 1024MB DDR5, PCI-Express 2.1, CrossFireX, DVI, Dipslay Port, HDMI

I think i can find one high quality, high def port to use :) the thing works great! all this for around 400...us dollars chaps ;)

8. Digerati

Glad you got it going. Thanks for the followup.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds